Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
TALKIN, a township, in the parish of Hayton, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (S.E. by S.) from Brampton; containing 344 inhabitants. The township comprises 2,357 acres, of which 1,400 are common or waste land; it is bounded on the west by the river Gelt, and contains quarries of freestone and limestone, and some collieries. The tithes have been commuted for £33. 15. payable to an impropriator, £45. 10. to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, and £50 to the vicar of Brampton. Three valuable gold clasps were discovered in 1790, on Netherton farm, where a battle was anciently fought.