Smardale Township, 1848
SMARDALE, a township, in the parish of Kirkby Stephen, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 2¾ miles (W.S.W.) from Kirkby-Stephen; containing 35 inhabitants. It comprises 1,735 acres, of which 643 are common or waste land. Smardale Hall, an ancient manor-house formerly belonging to the Warrop and Dalston families, proprietors of the township, is now a farmhouse.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Today Smardale is part of the Civil Parish of Waitby.