Former Sunday School & Meeting House, Scotch street, Whitehaven
There is a former Sunday School building, located to the rear of the Lowther Street Methodist Church in Whitehaven. It was actually built for an adjoining Presbyterian church (now demolished), in c.1879. The architect may have been T.L.Banks who designed the adjoining Methodist church built around the same time. The entrance to the Sunday School building is on Scotch Street. It is a plain coursed sandstone building, with some ornamentation to windows.
In 1982, the former Sunday School building was purchased by the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), for £7,000. Following refurbishment it opened as a Quaker Meeting House in 1984. However, the Methodist Church closed in the 1990s, leaving the Meeting House and other adjacent buildings vulnerable and difficult to maintain and access safely. This, along with declining numbers, led to the Meeting closing in 2013; it is now held in Egremont.