Topics > Cumbria > Glassonby > Addingham Cross

Addingham Cross


The 'Addingham Cross' is a late 10th or early 11th century Saxon stone cross in the churchyard of St Michael's Church, Glassonby. The cross was originally located in the churchyard of the ancient church at Addingham, on the banks of the River Eden. However, the church and village of Addingham was flooded or washed away, when the River Eden changed its course in 1350 AD.[1] The Addingham Cross is a Scheduled Monument.

Glassonby Church of St Michael, Glassonby Anglo-Saxon (410 to 1066 AD) River Eden (Cumbria) Historic Buildings and Monuments in Glassonby Civil Parish Scheduled Monument
from Geograph (geograph)
Saxon cross in St Michael's churchyard, Addingham, Glassonby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Addingham Cross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Cross in St Michael's churchyard, Addingham - List Entry
- "....The monument includes the upper part of a decorated cross shaft and head of a late 10th/early 11th century Anglo-Scandinavian cross. It is constructed of red sandstone and is ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1012823
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY5743538292

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES