Topics > Cumbria > Wigton > Former King's Arms

Former King's Arms

The old Kings Arms Hotel in Wigton was a former coaching inn, built in the late 18th century.[1] The authors Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins stayed here in 1857 on a sightseeing trip to Cumberland: "The Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices".  When the pub was renovated in 1987, Dickens autograph was discovered on the wall, under layers of wallpaper.[2] The old Kings Arms Hotel is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Wigton Historic Buildings and Monuments in Wigton Charles Dickens and the North East
from Geograph (geograph)
Old photograph - The Kings' Arms - Wigton station - May 2017

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Former "The Kings' Arms Commercial Hotel", Wigton - May 2017

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Kings Arms Hotel, Wigton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
- "Public House and shop. Late C18 or early C19. Painted render with V-jointed quoins on chamfered plinth. No 5 has painted stucco walls with eaves cornice and angle pilasters...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Charles Dickens and the North East
  Co-Curate Page
Charles Dickens and the North East
- Overview About Charles Dickens Charles Dickens (1812-1870) was one of the greatest novelists of the Victorian era and his works remain widely read. As a writer, performer, and social critic …


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

List number: 1212982
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY2547548398


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.