Topics > Cumbria > Whitehaven > The Kirk Mission Hall, Whitehaven

The Kirk Mission Hall, Whitehaven


The Kirk is a former non-conformist church on the High Street in Whitehaven. It was built in the mid 18th century, originally as a church of the Scots Presbyterians; it was known as the 'High Meeting' in 1790. It became a Methodist church in the late 19th century. The church closed in the 1970s and was derelict for many years before being converted into residential flats. The Kirk is a Grade II listed building on the National Heritage List of England.

Whitehaven Former Church Historic Buildings and Monuments in Whitehaven
from Flickr (flickr)
Cumbria - Whitehaven, The Kirk

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Flickr (flickr)
BMB-G-13-17

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from https://historicengland.org...
THE KIRK MISSION HALL, GATEPIERS AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL - Whitehaven - List Entry
- "Non conformist church, now redundant. Mid C18, with C19 and C20 alterations. Rubble sandstone, brought to courses, with ashlar dressings, and roughcast rendered in part, or wholly in all elevations ...

Added by
Edmund Anon

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1263964
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NX9772518374

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES