Topics > Cumbria > Gamblesby > Old Church of St John, Gamblesby

Old Church of St John, Gamblesby


St John's Church in Gamblesby was built in 1868, designed in the 'Gothic Revival' style by C.J. Ferguson. It was originally built as a chapel-of-ease to the parish church in Addingham, prompted by the local growth of Methodism (a large Methodist chapel was built in Gamblesby in 1864, replacing an earlier smaller chapel). The church closed in 2002 and after a period of disuse was restored in 2010-11 and converted into a holiday let. The conversion was featured on the Channel 4 tv series 'The Restoration Man', first aired on the 19th of January 2012. The former church is a Grade II listed building.

St. John's Church was a Victorian parish Church of England church in the village of Gamblesby, Cumbria, England.

The Gothic Revival-style church, with tall spire, lancet windows and external buttresses, was built as a chapel-of-ease to the church at Addingham, in response to the local growth of Methodism, in 1868, on land granted by the Duke of Devonshire at the behest of its first vicar, the Reverend Brown. The construction cost £1075 19s 10d (£1075.99), raised through voluntary contributions.

Its geometrical and floral three light East apse, by John Scott was its only stained glass.

After being decommissioned, the grade II-listed building was converted into a private residence, in 2010–2011. The conversion featured in George Clarke's Channel 4 television series The Restoration Man.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 15/11/2019).
Visit the page: St. John's Church, Gamblesby for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Gamblesby 1868 Former Church
from Geograph (geograph)
Church at Gamblesby

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Converted church at Gamblesby

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Sheep being driven past Old St John's Church

Pinned by Peter Smith
from http://oldstjohnschurch.co.uk/
Old St. John’s Church Holiday Home

Added by
Peter Smith
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JOHN - Gamblesby - List Entry
- "Church. 1868 by C.J. Ferguson, not an ancient site. Hammer-dressed red sandstone on chamfered plinth, with string course and buttresses; graduated green slate roof with decorative ridge tiles; small ...

Added by
Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1327034
List grade: 2
Post code: CA10 1HR
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY6096839291
Wikipedia: St. John's Church...

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES