The Clarkes is a hotel, restaurant and bar located off Roa Island Road in Rampside. A date stone above the door of The Clarkes shows two dates; 1720 and 1913. The current hotel was built in 1913 and replaced an earlier building of 1720 on this site. The original building was converted to a Coaching Inn with stables around the back and was named 'The New Inn' in 1822. It was often used for the workers on the ships docking at Roa Island and Piel Island. Later in the 19th century it was named the 'The Wordsworth Inn'; it is thought the poet William Wordsworth, who had a family connection with the owners, once stayed there.