Langton is a hamlet in the Eden district of Cumbria, located just over a mile east of Appleby-in-Westmorland. In the past, Langton was part of a much larger township, including the Bondgate area of Appleby and the nearby hamlet of Kirkber.
LANGTON, with Bongate, a township, in the parish of Appleby St. Michael, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 1½ mile (E.) from the town of Appleby; containing 618 inhabitants. Langton, or Long Town, once a populous place, was almost destroyed by the Scots in the reign of Edward II. At Kirkbergh was anciently a church.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.