Topics > Cumbria > Thwaites > Church of St Anne, Thwaites

Church of St Anne, Thwaites


St Anne's Church in Thwaites was built 1854, designed by By E. G. Paley.[1] It replaced earlier churches on a site across the road from the present church. The previous one was built in 1715 and was a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity Church in Millom and was dedicated to St. Anne in 1724.[2] The present church was paid for by public subscription and local people provided labour, transport and materials for the construction of the church. The size of the church reflects the confidence of the community at this time, with its thriving woollen industry. The church has several stained glass windows dedicated to the Lewthwaite family, local landowners, some of which were designed by William Wailes.[3] St Anne's Church is part of the Benefice of Millom. It is a Grade II listed building.

Thwaites Churches and Cathedrals Historic Buildings and Monuments in Millom Without Civil Parish William Wailes (1808 - 1876) 1854 Hallthwaites
from Geograph (geograph)
St Anne's church, Thwaite

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Anne's Church, Hallthwaites

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Anne, Thwaites: churchyard (1)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Anne's church, Thwaites, from the recreation ground by the school

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Anne, Thwaites: mid-February 2015

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Anne's Church, Hallthwaites

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST ANNE - Thwaites - List Entry
- "Church. 1854. By E G Paley. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Nave with south aisle and chancel. Weathered base; nave and chancel have steep roofs with coped gables ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Benefice of Millom
The Benefice of Millom - The CofE in Millom, with Haverigg & Thwaites
- "...Millom is situated on the coast at the southern tip of Lake District and our benefice covers the town of Millom, the village of Haverigg and their surrounding rural area ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Anne's Church at Thwaites

Pinned by Pat Thomson

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1336038
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: SD1780885514

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES