SELSIDE, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Kendal; containing 530 inhabitants, of whom 335 are in the township of Selside with Whitwell. The township is situated between the river Mint on the east and the Sprint river on the west, and on the turnpikeroad from Carnforth to Eamont-Bridge. The Grayrigg station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway is within three miles. The chapelry includes the township of Fawcett-Forest, and part of the townships of Whinfell, Skelsmergh, and Strickland-Roger; and comprises 11,000 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £114; patrons, the Landowners; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The chapel, dedicated to St. Thomas, was erected in lieu of a more ancient edifice, about 1720, by the inhabitants, on a site given by William Thornburgh, Esq.; and was rebuilt on an enlarged scale in 1837, at an expense of about £600. A free school is supported from several sources, the principal of which is an estate left by John Kitching in 1730, and producing an income of £40. Whitwell was an extensive common previously to 1825, when it was inclosed by act of parliament.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.