CLOFFOCK, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Cockermouth, in Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing 4 inhabitants. It consists of a tract of common, about 80 acres, lying on the north side of the town of Workington, and completely surrounded by the river Derwent and a small stream. Races are held annually; and at the western extremity of the place are a quay and a patent-slip. A portion of the ground is called Chapel Flat, and is thought to have been the site or property of a religious house.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.