Local List


This is a list of buildings, structures, parks and gardens which have special local architectural, heritage or historic interest. This differs from the National Heritage List for England, which includes building recognised as being of national importance. Whilst buildings and parks on the Local List may not be deemed as being of particular national relevance, they are of special importance to the locality.
  Co-Curate Page
No. 20 Collingwood Street
- Built in 1889 by R K Freeman and Robins for Mr Swanson. The building is on the Local List.
Church of St. Joseph, Benwell
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Joseph, Benwell
- St Joesph's Church in Benwell is located at the junction of Armstrong Road and South Benwell Road. The neo-Byzantine style building was designed by Stienlet & Maxwell and opened in October ...
Benwell Nature Park
  Co-Curate Page
Benwell Nature Park
- Overview About Map Street View Benwell Nature Park was established in 1982 on land cleared by the demolition of two streets of terraced housing and a section of Atkinson Road in ...
Monkseaton Station
  Co-Curate Page
Monkseaton Station
- Overview About Map Street View The railway station at Monkseaton opened 25th July 1915, replacing the former Whitley Junction station of 1860, which was located in what is now Souter Park. ...
Cullercoats Metro Station
  Co-Curate Page
Cullercoats Metro Station
- Overview About Map Street View The Metro station at Cullercoats was originally a railway station, which opened on the 7th July 1882. The station was built by the North Eastern ...
South Shields, Ferry Landing
  Co-Curate Page
South Shields, Ferry Landing
- Overview Map Street View The new landing for the Shields Ferry in South Shields was built by Harbour & General at the Pallion Yard in Sunderland. The landing is made of ...
Rendezvous Cafe, Whitley Bay
  Co-Curate Page
Rendezvous Cafe, Whitley Bay
- Overview Map Street View The iconic Art Deco style cafe at Duke's Walk by the North Promenade was built in June 1930 by Whitley Bay & District Council, and originally ...
New Coliseum, Whitley Bay
  Co-Curate Page
New Coliseum, Whitley Bay
- Overview Map Street View Former theatre and cinema at no's 246-248 Whitley Road. The grand façade of the New Coliseum is a feature of the town centre in Whitley Bay. ...
Dove Marine Laboratory
  Co-Curate Page
Dove Marine Laboratory
- Overview About Map Street View The first laboratory at Cullercoats was constructed by the Northumberland Sea Fisheries Committee and opened on the 21st of October 1897.[1] It was a small wooden ...
King John's Well, Armstrong Park
  Co-Curate Page
King John's Well, Armstrong Park
from https://sitelines.newcastle...
Tyne and Wear HER(7423): Chopwell, Church of St. John the Evangelist
- "This beautifully finished and well-kept turn of the 20th century rural church is in snecked, tooled, golden sandstone with ashlar details. Below the small bell turret the stonework advances, giving ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Church of St. John the Evangelist, Chopwell
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. John the Evangelist, Chopwell
- Overview Map Street View The Church of St. John the Evangelist in Chopwell opened in 1909. It replaced an existing smaller church, as the parish population had expanded rapidy with ...
The Ritz, Forest Hall
  Co-Curate Page
The Ritz, Forest Hall
- Overview Map Street View The 'Ritz' Bingo & Social Club in Forest Hall was originally a cinema. The Ritz cinema, with 1,062 seats, opened on the 9th November 1936 with ...
Church of St Anne, Winlaton
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Anne, Winlaton
- Overview Map Street View St Anne's Church in Winlaton was built in 1962 and is part of the Roman Catholic diocese of Hexham and Newcastle.
Path Head Water Mill, Blaydon
  Co-Curate Page
Path Head Water Mill, Blaydon
- Overview Map Street View The 18th Century Water Mill at Path Head, on Summerhill near Blaydon. The mill was derelict by 1974, but has been restored and renovated by the Vale ...
Cragside Primary School, High Heaton
  Co-Curate Page
Cragside Primary School, High Heaton
- Overview Map Street View High Heaton Infants School ('the wooden school') opened on the 20th of August 1929 with a roll of 164 students. With a growing population in High ...
Carr-Ellison Park, Hebburn
  Co-Curate Page
Carr-Ellison Park, Hebburn
Northumberland Village Homes, Whitley Bay
  Co-Curate Page
Northumberland Village Homes, Whitley Bay
- Overview Map Street View Village Court is tucked away off Norham Road by Monkseaton Metro Station. It has an interesting history... Northumberland Village Homes in Whitley Bay were built in ...
Old Eldon Square, Blackett Street
  Co-Curate Page
Old Eldon Square, Blackett Street
- Overview About Old Eldon Square Map Street View Old Eldon Square off Blackett Street was built 1825 - 1831 as part of the mid 19th century redevelopment of Newcastle city centre. ...
Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art
  Co-Curate Page
Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art
- Overview About the Baltic Map Street View The original Baltic Flour Mills were opened in 1950, built for the Rank Hovis company based on a 1930s design by Gelder and ...
Marsden Grotto
  Co-Curate Page
Marsden Grotto
- Summary About Marsden Grotto Map Street View Marsden Grotto is a 'cave bar' pub and restaurant on the coast at South Shields. It's history can be traced back to 1782 ...
Whitburn Methodist Church
  Co-Curate Page
Whitburn Methodist Church
- Overview Map Street View Whitburn Methodist Church is located on North Guards in Whitburn. It was built in 1881 to replace an earlier Wesleyan Chapel of 1812.[1] A tapered octagonal tower ...
Grants Clock, Whitley Bay
  Co-Curate Page
Grants Clock, Whitley Bay
- Overview Map Street View There is a clock with 2 faces located on the Promenade in Whitley Bay, close to the junction with South Parade. The clock stands on a ...
Cross House, Westgate Road
  Co-Curate Page
Cross House, Westgate Road
- Overview Map Street View Cross House is a distinctive office building on the corner of Westgate Road and Fenkle Steet in Newcastle. It was designed by Cackett and Burns Dick architects ...
Rosie's Bar, Stowell Street, Newcastle
  Co-Curate Page
Rosie's Bar, Stowell Street, Newcastle
- Overview Map Street View  
Old Cooperative Warehouse, Stowell Street, Newcastle
  Co-Curate Page
Old Cooperative Warehouse, Stowell Street, Newcastle
- Overview Map Street View 14-18 Stowell Street is the former warehouse of the Co-operative Wholesale Society, built in 1908. The warehouse was used for ripening fruit and had loading bays ...
  Co-Curate Page
Stage Door Nightclub, Stowell Street, Newcastle
- Overview Map Street View Now 'The Cosmic Ballroom' nightclub. The building at 20-22 Stowell Street was originally a warehouse, and was converted into a casino known as 'The Bird Cage' ...
Nos. 34-46 Stowell Street, Newcastle
  Co-Curate Page
Nos. 34-46 Stowell Street, Newcastle
- Overview Map Street View Nos. 34-46 are the only remaining original buildings from when Stowell Street was first built c.1824.[1] The buildings now house a number of restaurants.
Exhibition Park, Newcastle
  Co-Curate Page
Exhibition Park, Newcastle
- Overview About Exhibition Park Map Street View Exhibition Park is a short walk from Newcastle City Centre; the main entrance is off Claremont Road. It became known as Exhibition Park ...
Byker Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Byker Bridge
- Overview About Byker Bridge Map Street View   The Byker Bridge is a 344.65m (1130 ft) long road bridge that carries the A193 road over the River Ouseburn in Newcastle ...
Lime Street Chimney, Ouseburn
  Co-Curate Page
Lime Street Chimney, Ouseburn
The Mansion House, Fernwood Road, Jesmond
  Co-Curate Page
The Mansion House, Fernwood Road, Jesmond
- Overview Map Street View The Mansion House on Fernwood Road in Jesmond is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of Newcastle. It was originally built in 1880 as two ...
Quadrangle, Newcastle University
  Co-Curate Page
Quadrangle, Newcastle University
- Overview Map Street View The Quadrangle lies at the heart of Newcastle University with gardens and thoroughfare, which is a favourite place for graduation photographs. It is surrounded on all sides, ...
  Co-Curate Page
Stephenson Building, Newcastle University
- Overview Map Street View The Stephenson Building at Newcastle University was built in 1952, by Edwards & Manby. It is located on Claremont Road.
People's Theatre, Heaton
  Co-Curate Page
People's Theatre, Heaton
- Overview About the Prople's Theatre Map Street View 1959: "The unfailing support of the Tyneside audience for our choice of play encourages us to purchase the Lyric Cinema, Heaton. It ...
Paddy Freeman's Park
  Co-Curate Page
Paddy Freeman's Park
- Overview Map Street View  
Old Power Station, Lemington
  Co-Curate Page
Old Power Station, Lemington
  Co-Curate Page
Marden Bridge Middle School
- Overview Map Street View Marden Bridge Middle School is located on Lovaine Avenue in Whitley Bay. It is a community school with about 530 pupils aged 9 to 13.[1]
Ravenswood Primary School, Heaton
  Co-Curate Page
Ravenswood Primary School, Heaton
- Overview Map Street View Located on Ravenswood Road in Heaton, Ravenswood is one of the largest primary schools in Newcastle. It is a foundation school with about 650 pupils aged ...
Danby House and Blacksmith’s  Forgejavascript:;
  Co-Curate Page
Danby House and Blacksmith’s Forgejavascript:;
- Overview Map Street View Danby House at 321 Acklam Road, is a former small holding and part of the former village of Acklam, before it became part of Middlesbrough. It ...
  Co-Curate Page
Drinking Fountain, Stokesley Road, Marton
- Overview Map Street View Dated 1879 and located on Stokesley Road, opposite St Cuthbert’s Church, and at the south-west corner of Stewart Park in Marton. The drinking fountain was built ...
  Co-Curate Page
House of Fraser, 37 Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough
- Overview Map Street View The House of Fraser Department Store (37 Linthorpe Road) is located in Middlesbrough town centre on the corner of Newport Road and Linthorpe Road. Built in ...
  Co-Curate Page
Miss Selfridge, 64-66 Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough
- Overview Map Street View Nos. 64-66 Linthorpe Road in Middlesbrough is a Miss Selfridge store on the corner of Linthorpe Road and Corporation Road. The building was originally built in ...
The Crown, Middlesbrough
  Co-Curate Page
The Crown, Middlesbrough
- Overview Map Street View The Crown is a prominent building on the corner of Linthorpe Road and Borough Road, Middlesbrough. The building was designed by architect James Forbes, and was ...
Methodist Church, 126-132 Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough
  Co-Curate Page
Methodist Church, 126-132 Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough
- Overview Map Street View Built as a Methodist Church and Sunday School in 1892, located on the corner of Linthorpe Road and Borough Road in Middlesbrough. Today the church still ...
Dr Brown's, Corporation Road, Middlesbrough
  Co-Curate Page
Dr Brown's, Corporation Road, Middlesbrough
- Overview Map Street View Doctor Brown's pub is located on the junction of Corporation Road and Marton Road in the centre of Middlesbrough. The triangular building was originally built as ...
  Co-Curate Page
72-80 Corporation Road, Middlesbrough
- Overview Map Street View 72-80 Corporation Road, Middlesbrough was originally built in c.1898 as a shop, warehouse and offices for the Middlesbrough Co-operative Society. During the 1940’s and 1950’s the building ...
  Co-Curate Page
82-90 Corporation Road, Middlesbrough
- Overview Map Street View 82-90 Corporation Road in Middlesbrough was built in 1881. It was designed by William Duncan and Roger Lofthouse for the Middlesbrough Co-operative Society Branch, to house ...
Hawthorne House, Forth Banks, Newcastle
  Co-Curate Page
Hawthorne House, Forth Banks, Newcastle
- Overview Map Street View Hawthorne House is a 3 storey brick and stone Georgian building on Forth Banks in Newcastle. It was part of the former Hawthorn Engineering Works, whose ...
Former Hawthorne Inn, Forth Banks, Newcastle
  Co-Curate Page
Former Hawthorne Inn, Forth Banks, Newcastle
- Overview Map Street View Sachins Punjabi Restaurant is located on Forth Banks, by the junction with Forth Street in Newcastle. The building was formerly the Hawthorne Inn public house (shown ...
Church of St John, Whorlton, Westerhope
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St John, Whorlton, Westerhope
- Overview Map Street View The Church of St John in Whorlton, Westerhope was originally built in 1866 as a Chapel of Ease to Newburn. In c.1911 the east end of ...
Church of St Augustine, Fenham
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Augustine, Fenham
- Overview Map Street View The Church of Augustine of Hippo (now St George & St. Athanasius Coptic Orthodox Church) is located on Brighton Grove in Fenham, Newcastle. The church was ...
Little Theatre, Gateshead
  Co-Curate Page
Little Theatre, Gateshead
- Overview About The Little Theatre Map Street View The Little Theatre is located on Saltwell View, Gateshead. The Theatre was established by the Progressive Players and the opening performance was ...
Ridley Villas, 91 New Bridge Street
  Co-Curate Page
Ridley Villas, 91 New Bridge Street
- Ridley Villas, 91 New Bridge Street, Newcastle, were built in the 1820s. They were once part of a row of grand residential houses, possibly designed by John Dobson. The villas ...
Stanleyburn Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Stanleyburn Bridge
Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay (closed 2016)
  Co-Curate Page
Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay (closed 2016)
- The 70 bedroom Rex Hotel, on the corner of  Promenade and South Parade in Whitley Bay, closed in 2016. It was originally built in 1906 as a small temperance hotel ...
from Geograph (geograph)
Lych Gate at St Mary Church Heworth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Belle Grove pub (1875-2008)
  Co-Curate Page
Belle Grove pub (1875-2008)
- The Belle Grove public house on the corner of Belle Grove Terrace and Ancrum Street in Spital Tongues Newcastle, was built in c.1875. It was built for Sanderson's Haymarket Brewery and ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES