Tyne & Wear HER: 7423
Grid ref: NZ12295879

Church of St. John the Evangelist, Chopwell


The Church of St. John the Evangelist in Chopwell opened in 1909. It replaced an existing smaller church, as the parish population had expanded rapidy with the opening of Chopwell Collierly by the Consett Iron Company.[1] The church was built in 1907-9, largely by voluntary local labour, with only the masons being paid workers. The Clerk of Works was the Colliery Manager, and the stonemen from the colliery quarried the stone in their spare time. The villagers also raised fundes for the church.[2]

from Geograph (geograph)
Church of St John the Evangelist at Chopwell

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St John the Evangelist Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://sitelines.newcastle...
Tyne and Wear HER(7423): Chopwell, Church of St. John the Evangelist
- "This beautifully finished and well-kept turn of the 20th century rural church is in snecked, tooled, golden sandstone with ashlar details. Below the small bell turret the stonework advances, giving ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Chopwell Collierly (1781 - 1966)
  Co-Curate Page
Chopwell Collierly (1781 - 1966)
- Chopwell Collierly opened in 1781, owned by Marquis of Bute (though coal had been worked in Chopwell since the 14th century). In 1890 the colliery was taken over by the ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES