Rangefinder Pillar, St Mary's Island


There is a concrete pillar off the East coast of St Mary's Island. It was originally built in 1914 as a rangefinder to calibrate coastal defence artillery guns at Tynemouth Castle during the First World War. It was used for the same purpose, and possibly modified, during World War 2. (Source: SiteLines)

from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(1987): St. Mary's Island, concrete pillar

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Mary's lighthouse, Whitley Bay

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Seamark at St Mary's Island
- Photo by Oliver Dixon, 2010, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
View of rocks from bird watching hide
- Photo by R J McNaughton, 2007, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  from Simon Cotterill (Co-Curate Page)
Tynemouth Priory and Castle
- Overview History Aerial View Street View Tynemouth Castle is located on a rocky headland (known as Pen Bal Crag) at Tynemouth, overlooking Tynemouth Pier and the mouth of the River ...
  from Simon Cotterill (Co-Curate Page)
St Mary's Island and Lighthouse
- A Brief History More About the Lighthouse Map Street View St Mary’s Island is a tidal island located off Curry's Point to the north of Whitley Bay, accessed by a causeway ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES