The Cumberland Arms is located on James Place Street in Ouseburn, Byker (rear to Back Stephen Street). The Cumberland Arms was first licensed as a beer house in 1862. However, the present building dates from 1899, rebuilt following collapse of the earlier building during renovations. The pub was once owned by 'Jocker' Wood (1854 - 1937), a popular sportsman and publican. In 1919 the pub was purchased by Wilkinson's Pinestreet Brewery of Elswick, and underwent alterations in 1935.