Dove Marine Laboratory


The first laboratory at Cullercoats was constructed by the Northumberland Sea Fisheries Committee and opened on the 21st of October 1897.[1] It was a small wooden building located next to the saltwater baths, but the laboratory was destroyed by fire in 1904. In 1906, Wilfred H. Hudleston, FRS (1828-1909), a geologist and landowner, who had been involved in establishing the original laboratory, offered the site of the the old baths and to finance a new larger building. He asked that the building be named after one of his ancestors, Eleanor Dove (the Dove family lived at Sparrow Hall in Cullercoats). The current laboratory building was opened by the Duke of Northumberland on the 29th of September 1908. In 1909, after Hudleston died, the Laboratory became a department of Armstrong College, which later evolved into Newcastle University. The laboratory acquired its first reseach vessel, the 'Evadne', in 1911. Historically the laboratory was part of the School of Marine Science and Technology - it was incorporated into the new larger School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, when the SAgE Faculty was reorganised in 2017.

The Dove Marine Laboratory is a research and teaching laboratory which forms part of the School of Marine Science and Technology within Newcastle University in the United Kingdom.

History

The original Laboratory was established in October 1897. It comprised a small wooden hut sited next to the Saltwater Baths on Cullercoats Bay, and was used by Armstrong College to study the waters of the north east UK coastline.

On the 28 March 1904 the Laboratory and Baths were destroyed by fire, but it was agreed that the work of the Laboratory should continue. In 1906 the local landowner, geologist Wilfred Hudleston, FRS, offered not only to make the site of the old Baths available for newer, larger, facilities, but also offered to finance their construction. He was reluctant to publicise his generosity, and asked that the building be named after one of his ancestors, Eleanor Dove, when it was opened by the Duke of Northumberland on 29 September 1908. In 2008 the laboratory celebrated its centenary, where the current Duke of Northumberland led festivities.

The Laboratory became a department of Armstrong College when the building and land were purchased by the college following Hudleston's death in 1909, and soon grew in reputation, acquiring its first boat in 1911. The Laboratory also operated a public aquarium and once housed the coble in which Grace Darling and her father rescued passengers from the SS Forfashire in 1838.

In 1967 responsibility for the Laboratory was transferred to Newcastle University.

Present Day

As a research facility the Laboratory is normally closed to the public, but holds open days during the summer months and as part of other events such as Cullercoats Harbour Day and Heritage Open Days.

A Marine Science distance learning course, Delve Deeper, run by the University includes a field course component based at the laboratory.

Research Vessels of the Dove Marine Laboratory

  • The Evadne: 1911 –
  • Pandalus: 1950s
  • The Alexander Meek: 1950s – 1973
  • RV Bernicia: 1973 – 2011
  • RV The Princess Royal: 2011 – present
Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 16/03/2019).
Visit the page: Dove Marine Laboratory for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
020203:Dove Marine Laboratory Cullercoats North Tyneside 1970

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Dove Marine Lab

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Sea Urchin

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.ncl.ac.uk/nes/a...
Dove Marine Laboratory
- The Website includes a virtual tour.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Dove Marine Laboratory, Cullercoats

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(5058): Cullercoats, Dove Marine Laboratory & Salt Water Baths
- "The original Dove Marine Laboratory building was constructed by the Northumberland Sea Fisheries Committee and opened on 21 October 1897. The laboratory exterior was merely a wooden hut next to ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Dove Marine Laboratory - detail

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Dove Marine Laboratory

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Path to Cullercoats Bay

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Dove Marine Laboratory, Cullercoats

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Dove Marine Laboratory

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Dove Marine Laboratory

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
CULLERCOATS 1

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
The Private Aquarium

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image from page 122 of "A history of the Dove family : and their descendants in connection with Cullercoats, Northumberland" (1910)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
The Dove Marine Laboratory from the South-East. c.1910

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
The Public Aquarium c.1910

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Second Floor Entrance with Gable Over Showing Coar of Arms etc. c.1910

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Dove Marine Laboratory from the South - West

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
First Floor Plan

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Second Floor and Gangway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Groundfloor Plan

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Rev. Curwen Hudleston

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Eleanor Dove

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Wilfrid H. Hudleston

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://archive.org/stream/...
The Dove Marine Laboratory, Cullercoats,and its Structural Details (1910).
- A history of the Dove family : and their descendants in connection with Cullercoats, Northumberland. The Dove Marine Laboratory, Cullercoats,and its Structural Details. History and Purposes of the Laboratory. by ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image from page 113 of "A history of the Dove family : and their descendants in connection with Cullercoats, Northumberland" (1910)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Dove Marine Laboratory, Cullercoats

Pinned by Pat Thomson

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES