Lions Head Fountain, Tynemouth Longsands
The Lion’s Head Fountain on Tynemouth Longsands was built in 1863 utilising a natural mineral spring which had been used since the 1820s for its reputed health-giving properties. However, it stopped being used for drinking water from around 1920, when it had been polluted by local mine workings. The spring emerges on the beach to the north of Crusoe’s café. and the fountain has been buried with sand over the years.