Demolished


Demolished Buildings and other structures - of historic interest!

Tynemouth Plaza (1878 - 1996)
  Co-Curate Page
Tynemouth Plaza (1878 - 1996)
- Tynemouth Plaza was a prominent building which overlooked Tynemouth Long Sands, it was destroyed by a fire on the 10th February 1996. The building was opened in 1878 as 'Tynemouth Aquarium ...
  Co-Curate Page
Stank Tower
- Stank Tower was a semi-circular stone tower which was part of the Town Wall of Newcastle built in the 13th century. It was demolished in 1847 with the building of ...
Handyside Arcade
  Co-Curate Page
Handyside Arcade
- Handyside Arcade on Percy Street was a 90-shop development built from c.1900 to 1906 by George Handyside, who died in 1904 before it's completion. The arcade was used as a barracks ...
Westgate House (1972-2006)
  Co-Curate Page
Westgate House (1972-2006)
- Westgate House was 12 storey office block on Westgate Road opposite Central Station. This 'Brutalist' building was completed in 1972. The building was purchased by One North East in association ...
Green Market
  Co-Curate Page
Green Market
- The Green Market was a historic market in Newcastle. Originally it was a vibrant street market off Newgate Street opposite St Andrew's church. It was moved to an indoor market ...
Royal Arcade, Newcastle (demolished 1963)
  Co-Curate Page
Royal Arcade, Newcastle (demolished 1963)
- The Royal Arcade on Pilgrim Street was designed by John Dobson and built between June 1831 and May 1832 by Richard Grainger. It was originally planned it as a corn ...
Old Infirmary, Forth Banks
  Co-Curate Page
Old Infirmary, Forth Banks
- The Infirmary at Newcastle was founded in 1751 following calls for a hospital for the poor and needy, led by Newcastle surgeon Richard Lambert. It opened on 23rd May 1751 ...
West Gate
  Co-Curate Page
West Gate
- West Gate was the second largest gateway through the Town Walls into Medieval Newcastle, on the main route from the west; and gives its name to todays Westgate Road. It ...
Rialto Cinema, Benwell (1937-1964)
  Co-Curate Page
Rialto Cinema, Benwell (1937-1964)
- The Rialto Cinema on Armstrong Road in Benwell opened on 10th May 1937. It was opened by the Hinge circuit and had 1,026 seats. The cinema closed on 25th June ...
St.Peter's (Former School), Gainford
  Co-Curate Page
St.Peter's (Former School), Gainford
- St Peter's to the East of Gainford, County Durham was demolished in March 2016 following a fire on Saturday, March 5.[1] It was originally built c.1899 as a Catholic Poor ...
Killingworth Towers
  Co-Curate Page
Killingworth Towers
- Killingworth Towers were built in the early 1970's with a well-intentioned 'streets in the sky' approach with 'decks' above the roads designed to provide social space and safe walking above ...
  Co-Curate Page
Whitley Bay Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery
- This location is now part of the Whitley Bay Caravan Park. In World War 2 it was the site of a heavy anti-aircraft battery, radar station, two short sections of ...
  Co-Curate Page
Northern Coachbuilders Ltd, Spital Tongues
- Former factory (demolished) which was located on Claremont Road in Spital Tongues, between St Luke's Church and Chimney Mill. The factory produced electric trollybuses and other vehicles.
from TWAM (flickr)
Havannah Terrace, Washington

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from TWAM (flickr)
Wilden Terrace, Columbia, Washington

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Seaton Lodge
- Seaton Lodge was located by Seaton Burn, about a quater of a mile inland from Seaton Sluice harbour. It had a long history, associated with the Delaval family, before it ...
  Co-Curate Page
High Friar Street, Newcastle
- High Friar Street in Newcastle was demolished when the Eldon Square Shopping Centre was built in the 1970s. The street was located where the Blackett Street entrance to Eldon Square ...
  Co-Curate Page
Farnacres, Gateshead
- Demolished in the 1960s
Prudhoe Memorial Convalescent Home, Whitley Bay
  Co-Curate Page
Prudhoe Memorial Convalescent Home, Whitley Bay
- The Prudhoe Memorial Convalescent Home on the Links in Whitley Bay was built in 1867-9 on the site which is now occupied by the Waves leisure centre and pool. The ...
  Co-Curate Page
Previous Pearl Building, Northumberland Street
  Co-Curate Page
Benwell Hall
- Benwell Hall was built during the 18th century. It was demolished in 1982.
  Co-Curate Page
Manor Park School, Heaton
- Manor Park School was located on Benton Road in Heaton. In 1960 Middle Street Commercial School for Boys in Walker and Heaton Technical School were merged to form Manor Park ...
Cresswell Hall (former)
  Co-Curate Page
Cresswell Hall (former)
- Cresswell Hall, built 1821-4, had become structurally unsound and was demolished in 1937. In Hall Woods, stand the grand Stable Block and arched stone Gallery which flanked the approach to ...
  Co-Curate Page
The Mayfair, Newcastle
- The Mayfair in Newcastle opened as a ballroom on 12th September 1961. With its large hall, the Mayfair could hold up to 1,500 people, and had a resident band. The ...
Odeon Cinema, Pilgrim Street - Newcastle
  Co-Curate Page
Odeon Cinema, Pilgrim Street - Newcastle
- The former Odeon Cinema on Pilgrim Street in Newcastle collapsed on the evening of 3rd April 2017, just prior to the completion of its planned demolition; luckily no one was ...
Former Bank of England, Pilgrim Street
  Co-Curate Page
Former Bank of England, Pilgrim Street
- The former Bank of England building on Pilgrim Street was built 1968-1971 by Fitzroy, Robinson & Partners. The building was demolished in 2012.
Derwent Tower, Dunston
  Co-Curate Page
Derwent Tower, Dunston
- Overview About Derwent Tower Derwent Tower, knick named the "Dunston Rocket" was a 29-storey apartment block and was a prominent landmark in Dunston, Gateshead. The tower was commisioned by Whickham ...
Trinity Square Car Park, Gateshead
  Co-Curate Page
Trinity Square Car Park, Gateshead
- The Trinity Square in Gateshead was a 7 storey car park, above a supermarket and department store. The Brutalist style building was designed by Luder & Worthington in 1962 and ...
Boardwalk Cafe, Whitley Bay
  Co-Curate Page
Boardwalk Cafe, Whitley Bay
- The Boardwalk Cafe was located off Watts Slope on the Northern Promenade at Whitley Bay. Built in the 1970's on the site of a previous cafe, it was eventually demolished ...
Thornaby Aerodrome (1929-1958)
  Co-Curate Page
Thornaby Aerodrome (1929-1958)
- Overview About RAF Thornaby   Royal Air Force Thornaby or more simply RAF Thornaby is a former Royal Air Force Station located at the Teesside town and former Borough of ...
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Peter, Newcastle
- St. Peter's was a gothic style church, designed by John Dobson, on Oxford Street and New Bridge Street in Newcastle. The church was built from 1840 to 1843. It was later given ...
Stella Hall and Estate
  Co-Curate Page
Stella Hall and Estate
Twizell Railway Station (1861 - 1955)
  Co-Curate Page
Twizell Railway Station (1861 - 1955)
- There was a railway station at Twizell (in Duddo) which was on the Tweedmouth to Kelso Branch Line of Newcastle & Berwick Railway. The station operated from 1861 to 1955, ...
Twizell House
  Co-Curate Page
Twizell House
- Overview Map Twizell House is a small settlement near Warenford in Northumberland in the civil parish of Adderstone and Lucker. It takes its name from Twizell House, which was a ...
Trinity United Reformed Church, Whitley Bay
  Co-Curate Page
Trinity United Reformed Church, Whitley Bay
- The red brick church on the Esplanade in Whitlety Bay was opened on the 25th November 1900. It was renamed as Trinity United Reformed Church in 1975. The church was ...
  Co-Curate Page
Cherry Knowle Hospital, Ryhope
- Demolished in 2011. Cherry Knowle Hospital in Ryhope, designed by George T. Hine, opened in 1895 (then called 'Sunderland Borough Lunatic Asylum'). In 1891 the Borough of Sunderland had selected ...
  Co-Curate Page
Hawthorn Towers (demolished)
- Hawthorn Towers was a gothic county house in Hawthorn Dene, to the east of Hawthorn, built in 1821 by John Dobson.  The Pemberton family bought the property in the late ...
  Co-Curate Page
Ficket Tower
- This single chambered stone tower was part of the Town Walls of Newcastle built in the late 13th century. "Fickett Tower stood nearly opposite to the chapel of the Grey Friars. ...
  Co-Curate Page
Carliol Tower
- Carliol Tower was a 2 storey semi-circular tower that was on the north-east section of the Medieval town walls of Newcastle. The upper room was rib-vaulted, and based on cannon ...
  Co-Curate Page
Palace Theatre of Varieties, Percy Street, Newcastle
- 1895 - 1958 (demolished) The Palace Theatre of Varieties was located on the corner of Percy Street and St Thomas Street, where today there is a car park fronted by a ...
  Co-Curate Page
Haymarket Cinema
- "Originally opened as the Haymarket Cinema with Tom Walls in “Just Smith” on 21st December 1933. A project of Dixon Scott (who also commissioned the News Theatre on Pilgrim Street, ...
  Co-Curate Page
Thornaby Traction Maintenance Depot
- Thornaby TMD was a railway Traction Maintenance Depot where locomotives were serviced and maintained. Before closing it was latterly operated by DB Schenker. The buildings were demolished in 2011.
Kenton Bar Pyramid
  Co-Curate Page
Kenton Bar Pyramid
Millburngate House, Durham
  Co-Curate Page
Millburngate House, Durham
- Millburngate House, built in the 1960s, was the former home of the Passport Office and National Savings and Investments (NS&I), located in the Framwelgate Waterside area of Durham. The building was ...
Dunston Power Station
  Co-Curate Page
Dunston Power Station
- Overview About Dunston Power Station Dunston Power Station was a distinctive landmark on the south banks of the Tyne, until it's demolition in 1986. Located on the edge of Dunston, ...
  Co-Curate Page
St Aidan's Church, Elswick
- St Aidan's was located on St John's Road in Elswick (now demolished). 
  Co-Curate Page
Forth Banks Power Station (1890 - 1907)
- Overview About Forth Banks Power Station In 1890, the Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Company opened the Power Station in a disused factory building on Forth Banks in Newcastle. This ...
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Mary, Westmorland Road, Elswick
- St. Mary the Virgin Church was located on Westmorland Road, near the junction with Rye Hill in Elswick. The church was designed by Benjamin Green, 1858.[1] The church is no longer ...
  Co-Curate Page
South Benwell School (1893 - 1980)
- South Benwell School was located near the bottom of Atkinson Road in Benwell and opened in 1893. By the early 20th century the school had over 1,000 pupils (age 5 ...
Former Edlingham Railway Station
  Co-Curate Page
Former Edlingham Railway Station
- Overview About Edlingham Station Map The station at Edlingham (just east of Edlingham Castle) was built for the Alnwick to Coldstream (Cornhill) Railway, which opened by N.E.R. in 1887. The ...
Bus Station, Whitley Bay (demolished)
  Co-Curate Page
Bus Station, Whitley Bay (demolished)
- The former bus station in Whitley Bay was demolished in 2000 and the site on Northumberland Square was redeveloped as the Park View Shopping Centre. Buses now stop at several ...
The Avenue, Whitley Bay (demolished)
  Co-Curate Page
The Avenue, Whitley Bay (demolished)
- The Avenue was a large pub located close to Spanish City, on the end of Park Avenue and Brook Gardens in Whitley Bay. The pub went out of business and ...
High Point Hotel, Whitley Bay (demolished)
  Co-Curate Page
High Point Hotel, Whitley Bay (demolished)
Whisky Bends, Whitley Bay (demolished)
  Co-Curate Page
Whisky Bends, Whitley Bay (demolished)
  Co-Curate Page
Former Sanderson Hospital, Gosforth
- Sanderson Hospital on Salters Road in Gosforth was built in 1897, as a home for destitute children.[1] Later it was used by the NHS as an orthopaedic hospital and a ...
  Co-Curate Page
Benton Hall (demolished)
Longwitton Railway Station
  Co-Curate Page
Longwitton Railway Station
- Overview About Longwitton Station   Longwitton station was a weather board and corrugated iron built railway station in Northumberland on the Rothbury Branch. Originally known as Rothley and built as ...
  Co-Curate Page
Hippodrome Theatre, Northumberland Road, Newcastle
- In 1909 a skating rink known as 'White City' was built on Northumberland Road in Newcastle; the building had a large white dome and was located next door to the ...
  Co-Curate Page
The Olympia, Northumberland Road, Newcastle
- The original Olympia on Northumberland Road was a general purpose concert hall which opened in 1893. It was destroyed by a fire on the 2nd of December 1907.[1] A replacement ...
North Wylam Railway Station
  Co-Curate Page
North Wylam Railway Station
- North Wylam Railway Station opened on the 13th of May 1876 as part of the Scotswood, Newburn & Wylam Railway, operated by the North Eastern Railway. It was located in Wylam, ...
  Co-Curate Page
Percy Street Academy (1806 - 1881)
Sparrow Hall, Cullercoats
  Co-Curate Page
Sparrow Hall, Cullercoats
- The Dove family, local coal owners, built a large 3 storey Jacobean house in Cullercoats in 1682. It stood in grounds near to the cliffs and the apex stone of ...
Mainsforth Hall (demolished)
  Co-Curate Page
Mainsforth Hall (demolished)
- Mainsforth Hall was demolished in 1962. The oldest part of the hall dated from the 17th century. It had been the ancestral home of the Surtees family. Today the entrance ...
Rutter's School School House, Longbenton
  Co-Curate Page
Rutter's School School House, Longbenton
- Thomas Rutter, the parish clerk, ran a school in Longbenton in the late 18th and early 19th century. The school was located off Front Street on the site now occupied by ...
Hartlepool Magnesia Works
  Co-Curate Page
Hartlepool Magnesia Works
- Hartlepool Magnesia Works by North Sands at Hartlepool were originally developed by the Steetley Lime and Building Stone Company in 1937. The plant used a new technique for producing magnesia ...
Tweedmouth Station
  Co-Curate Page
Tweedmouth Station
- Overview About Tweedmouth Station Tweedmouth Station was built for the Newcastle and Berwick Railway and opened on the 29th March 1847. The grand station buildings were designed by Benjamin Green. ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES