Topics > Heritage Sites > Newcastle Town Walls > Close Gate

Close Gate

White Friar TowerIn 1827 Eneas Mackenzie wrote: "The Close Gate evidently derived its name from the street called the Close. After the fall of the Tyne Bridge in 1771, its tower was converted into a temporary prison. In 1797, it was taken down; the gateway being narrow, awkward, and dangerous. There was a turret, or tower, 52 yards to the south of this gate, and adjoining to the river. It was once the meeting-house of the House Carpenters' Company, and afterwards of the Sailmakers. From the Close Gate, there were an hundred and forty steps, on the top of the wall, as it mounts a very steep hill to White Friar Tower."
Newcastle Town Walls Close Demolished
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
038469:Close Gate Newcastle upon Tyne Holmes S. 1882

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Tyne and Wear HER(1511): Newcastle town wall, Close Gate
- "Close Gate, across the Close, was built in the mid 14th century. The only view of it (and that unreliable) shows a 3 storey tower pierced by a single central …

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Plan of Newcstle upon Tyne showing path of Town Wall with gates and towers

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Close Gate, inside, 1790.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

Tyne & Wear HER: 1511
Borough: Newcastle
Grid ref: NZ24866365


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.