Percy Square Barracks, North Shields
In 1758 barracks were erected for 1,000 men in North Shields, when there was fear of invasion, during a period of conflict with France over territories in the Americas. The barracks were associated with Clifford's Fort (constructed 1672). The barracks were later converted into dwelling-houses, known as Percy Square. Some of the cottages collapsed onto the shore, due to costal erosion. Some were demolished in c.1929, for the construction of the Knotts Memorial Flats.