Austin Tower


Corner TowerAustin Tower"Austin Tower has evidently derived its name from its vicinity to the house of Austin Friars. It was successively the hall of the Millers and Coopers, and afterwards of the Ropers, who repaired it in 1698. The lower apartment is converted into a stable, and the hall is in a state of dilapidation; but the company to whom it belongs usually assemble at a tavern." (Eneas Mackenzie, 1827) 

from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
714550:Austin Tower Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown c. 1810

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(1555): Newcastle town wall, Austin Tower
- "Austin Tower was situated on the wall close to the north-east corner of the precinct of the Austin Friars. It was described as "the finest double chambered bastion extant...Both ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES