Bertram Momboucher Tower


Ficket Tower

The tower was part of the Town Walls of Newcastle built in the late 13th centuary. "Bertram Mombowcher Tower plainly derives its name from the Bertram Mombowcher who was high sheriff of Northumberland in the reigns of king Edward III, and king Richard II. and who possessed property in Newcastle upon Tyne." (Eneas Mackenzie, 1827) The tower was used as a military prison before it was completely demolished in 1824 for the building of Blackett Street; stones from this part of the town wall were thought to have been used to build the sewer of the new street. 

from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(1545): Newcastle town wall, Bertram Momboucher Tower
- "It is presumed that this tower was of the same pattern as the towers west of it on the circuit, but there is no published description. It was used as ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  from Simon Cotterill (Co-Curate Page)
Blackett Street, Newcastle
- Overview Map Street View "This street follows the line of the early lane that ran outside the Town Wall between the New Gate and the Pilgrim Gate. The town wall ...
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 307 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES