In 1827 Eneas Mackenzie wrote: "Sand Gate has evidently had its name from being built upon the sand on the side of the river. It was taken down in 1798, having been found extremely inconvenient and dangerous to foot-passengers when carriages were passing. The wall between this gate and the Glassite chapel was removed in 1810–11. This part of the fortifications was exceedingly strong and lofty, and seemed to have been erected, or rebuilt, at a later period than any of the other parts. At the foundation of the wall, where Foster Street is now formed, a deep narrow hole was discovered, to the sides of which some rotten wood adhered, and which, it is conjectured, was the remains of a wooden mooring-post for small craft. The banks behind have been formed of ballast. The workmen also discovered two leaves of the Bible carefully inserted between the stones, and which may have been hid by some person when it was dangerous to have possession of this book."