Topics > Northumberland > Edlingham > Former Edlingham Railway Station

Former Edlingham Railway Station


The station at Edlingham (just east of Edlingham Castle) was built for the Alnwick to Coldstream (Cornhill) Railway, which opened by N.E.R. in 1887. The station was located just under 5 miles south-west of Alnwick, then at Edlingham the track bends to head northwards to Cornhill. The route was selected to avoid lands owned by the Duke of Northumberland. Edlingham Station was downgraded and became unstaffed on the 23rd August, 1926 - then becoming known as 'Edlingham Halt'.[1]

Edlingham railway station served the village of Edlingham, Northumberland, England from 1887 to 1953 on the Cornhill Branch.

History

The station opened on 5 September 1887 by the North Eastern Railway. It was situated at the end of an approach road that runs north from the B6341. To the west of the station was a goods yard, which had two sidings with one serving a cattle dock and the other serving a small goods shed. The goods traffic at the station and was never large; only six wagons of livestock were loaded in 1913. The station was downgraded to an unstaffed halt on 23 August 1926 and, after it closed to passengers on 22 September 1930, the name was changed to Edlingham Siding on 14 February 1938, before finally closing completely on 2 March 1953.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 06/04/2018).
Visit the page: Edlingham railway station for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Edlingham Demolished Alnwick to Cornhill Railway Edlingham Railway Viaduct
from Geograph (geograph)
Site of Edlingham Halt and trackbed of former line from Alnwick, 2000

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rowan Lea

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.disused-stations...
Edlingham
- "A station was built at the tiny village of Edlingham. With typical optimism railway planners anticipated villagers from as far away as Longframlington and Rothbury would regularly travel seven miles ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Alnwick to Cornhill Railway
  Co-Curate Page
Alnwick to Cornhill Railway
- Overview About the Cornhill Branch The Alnwick to Coldstream (Cornhill) railway, was opened in 1887 by the North Eastern Railway to link it's Kelso line to its Alnwick Branch. Stations: Signal ...
from Flickr (flickr)
1920 Edlingham. What about it? N.E.R.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES