Pink Tower


West Gate

Pink TowerPink Tower was part of the 13th Century Town Walls of Newcastle located near todays junction of Pink Lane and Clayton Street West. It was a single-chambered semi-circular stone tower built at a time when there was frequent threat of Scottish attack. In more peaceful times it used for other puropses: in 1770 to Thomas Blackett, a Newcastle merchant, rented it for use as a brewhouse. Pink Lane ran alongside the wall and takes its name from the tower. In the early 19th century it was one of the best preserved towers of the Town Wall, but was demolished in 1852 for developments on Clayton Street West, as part of the redevelopment of the city centre by Richard Grainger. 

from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
004230:Pink Tower Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown 1848

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(1526): Newcastle town wall, Pink Tower
- "Until its removal in 1852, and because it had never been occupied by a company, the Pink Tower is reported to have been, "the most complete example of the single-chambered ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 354 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES