South Benwell School (1893 - 1980)
South Benwell School was located near the bottom of Atkinson Road in Benwell and opened in 1893. By the early 20th century the school had over 1,000 pupils (age 5 to 12), with class sizes sometimes exceeding 60 pupils! The school was informally known as "Coxie's", based on the scool's first headmaster -Mr Cox. The school closed in 1980 and the building was demolished in 1994.