Topics > Cockermouth > Station Road > Cockermouth Station (1865 - 1966)

Cockermouth Station (1865 - 1966)

The railway station in Cockermouth was opened to passengers on the 2nd of January 1865. It was opened jointly by the Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith Railway and the Cockermouth & Workington Railway. For passengers, this replaced the earlier C&W station of 1847, by Low Road, which was further from the town centre. The station was closed on the 18th of April, 1966. The station was later demolished and the site, near the south end of Station Road, was used for Cockermouth Mountain Rescue and the Cumbria Fire Service Headquarters.

Station Road Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway 1865 Demolished
from Geograph (geograph)
View from locomotive cab on approach to Cockermouth station, 1953

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.disused-stations.o…
- "....Joint station: Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith Railway and Cockermouth & Workington Railway. Passenger trains on CK&P operated by London & North Western Railway.....The Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith Railway (CK&P) chose …

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Site of Cockermouth station, 1986

Pinned by Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.