Hawthorn Towers (demolished)


Hawthorn Towers was a gothic county house in Hawthorn Dene, to the east of Hawthorn, built in 1821 by John Dobson.  The Pemberton family bought the property in the late 1850s and remained in residence until c.1910. During the Second World War Hawthorn Towers was requisitioned by the Military. In 1949 the Pemberton Family sold and the house became ruinous following several arson attacks. Hawthorn Towers was demolished in 1969 after part of the building collapsed and a boy was killed.[1] Today, no evidence of Hawthorn Towers remains. Howevever, the remains of the private railway platform that served the house can still be seen in Hawthorn Dene.[2]

from http://www.lostheritage.org...
HAWTHORN TOWER

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Post Medieval Gothick House 430 Meters from Hawthorn Quarries, Hawthorn Tower (Hawthorn)
- "Although medieval in appearance Hawthorn Tower was entirley 19th century. It was built in 1821 for Major Anderson of Newcastle by the architect John Dobson also of Newcastle. It was ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES