Topics > Newcastle City Centre > Haymarket > Haymarket Cinema

Haymarket Cinema


Haymarket Cinema"Originally opened as the Haymarket Cinema with Tom Walls in “Just Smith” on 21st December 1933. A project of Dixon Scott (who also commissioned the News Theatre on Pilgrim Street, now operating as the Tyneside Cinema), this was originally a comfortable city centre cinema of modest capacity (1,280 seats) which played second-run product. Its architectural style was Egyptian and was inspired by a Cairo cinema....Associated British Cinemas(ABC) acquired the property from Dixon Scott in 1936 and extended its size considerably by lengthening the building...." (Cinema Treasures). The cinema, on Percy Street, closed on 20th September 1984, its final film was Prince in “Purple Rain”, and it was demolished in March 1985. 
Haymarket Demolished Percy Street Films and Cinema
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
046763:ABC (Haymarket) cinema Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown 1985

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
044827:Haymarket cinema Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne City Engineers 1984

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
044829:ABC (Haymarket) cinema Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne City Engineers 1984

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
044825:ABC (Haymarket) cinema Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne City Engineers 1984

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
044824:Haymarket Newcastle upon Tyne City Engineers 1984

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
015507:Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne 1966

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://cinematreasures.org/...
ABC Haymarket, Newcastle upon Tyne
- "Originally opened as the Haymarket Cinema with Tom Walls in “Just Smith” on 21st December 1933. A project of Dixon Scott (who also commissioned the News Theatre on Pilgrim Street ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(12841): Newcastle, Haymarket, Haymarket Cinema
- "Opened 21 December 1933. The owner was Dixon Scott. The cinema could seat 1280 people. There was box on either side of the stage, level with the circle. There were ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES