Longwitton Railway Station
Longwitton station was a weather board and corrugated iron built railway station in Northumberland on the Rothbury Branch. Originally known as Rothley and built as a private halt for the Trevelyan Estate, the name was changed in 1875 to Longwitton when it became a public station.
In 1859 Parliament authorised the Wansbeck Railway Company to build the line from to . In 1862 the line from to opened.
The next year the Northumberland Central Railway were authorised to construct a line from to Ford on the Berwick to Kelso line. They also were permitted to build a short branch line to Cornhill. Due to financial difficulties the line was to be built in stages starting with the section from to which was started in August 1869 and completed by November 1870. The North British Railway and the branch line became part of the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923. In September 1952 passenger services were withdrawn and the line closed in November 1963.
The station was opened as Rothley a private station serving the local Trevelyan Estate but became public when the line was absorbed into the North British Railway. Renamed Longwitton in April 1875 the station served a limestone quarry and colliery until the 1920s. On 3 July 1875 a major accident occurred on the line just south of leading to the deaths of three people.