National Trust


National Trust locations in the North East of England.

Site (click for details) Overview Location

Allen Banks & Staward Gorge

A 250-hectare site around the gorge created by the River Allen, which is the largest surviving area of ancient semi-natural woodland in Northumberland. Wildlife includes red squirrels and 70 species of birds have been spotted here. Near Bardon Mill Northumberland

Cherryburn

The farmhouse and cottage which was the birthplace of Thomas Bewick (1753-1828), a renowned wood engraver and naturalist who revolutionised print art in Georgian England. At Cherryburn you can see an extensive collection of Bewick's work and an exhibition about his life. Near Stocksfield Northumberland

Cragside

Cragside was the country house and estate of industrialist Lord William Armstrong. It was the first house in the world to be lit using hydroelectric power. Located on a rocky hillside near Rothbury, Cragside was initially built in 1863. The estate includes extensive gardens and woodland. Near Rothbury Northumberland

Durham Coast

This stretch of the Durham Coast was once home to the biggest coal mine in Europe, Blast Beach by Nose Point had been badly polluted by decades of colliery waste. However, the dramatic coast line is now flourishing with wildlife and being used by people again, following a massive clean-up project involving the National Trust and partners.

Near Seaham County Durham

Dunstanburgh Castle

Dunstanburgh is a massive ruined castle, which is just over a miles walk along a beautiful coastal path from Craster. The castle was built in the 14th century by Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, the wealthiest nobleman in England and cousin to Edward II. The castle is owned by the National Trust and managed by English Heritage. Near Craster Northumberland

Embleton & Newton Links

The links by Low Newton by the Sea, near Embleton, are a long stretch of picturesque beaches surrounded by wildlife-rich sand dunes. The dunes support a diverse range of wild flowers and wildlife. Near Embleton Northumberland

Farne Islands

The Farnes are a group of Islands located off the coast of Northumberland, just over 2 miles north of Seahouses. They are an important bird and seal sanctuary. In 651 the Farnes became home to Saint Aidan, and later by Saint Cuthbert. The islands are also famous for Grace Darling's rescue of survivors of the Forfarshire wrecked off the islands in 1838.  Near Seahouses Northumberland

George Stephenson's Birthplace

The cottage where the great railway pioneer, George Stephenson, was born in 1781. The entire family lived in just one room of the building. You can visit the cottage and see what it looked like back then. Wylam Northumberland

Gibside

Gibside is a stunning 18th-century landscape garden by the Derwent Valley with Georgian buildings, such as the Palladian chapel and stable block, and ruins of the grand hall. Once owned by coal baron George Bowes, the estate includes a long avenue of oaks leading to the Column of Liberty. There are several hundred acres of forest and a walled garden.

Near Rowlands Gill, Gateshead Tyne & Wear

Housesteads Fort & Hadrian's Wall

Housesteads (Roman name: "Vercovicium") is one of the best preserved forts on Hadrian's Wall, built around 124 AD. The fort covers an area of approximately 5 acres, and had a garrison of around soldiers. The site is owned by the National Trust, and run by English Heritage. There is a museum on the site including Roman artefacts from the fort. Near Bardon Mill Northumberland

Lindisfarne Castle

Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island was built in 1550. The castle was built a time of hostilities between England and Scotland, and the island and Priory had previously been subjected to raids by Vikings. The castle was altered by Sir Edwin Lutyens in the early 1900’s. As well as the castle, the National Trust also maintain the close by Gertrude Jackyll Gardens and Lindisfarne Limekilns. Lindisfarne (Holy Island) Northumberland

Ormesby Hall

Ormesby Hall was built in 1754 and was the home of the Pennyman family. The Georgian mansion is surrounded by 250 acres of parkland and farmland, as well as having a Victorian formal garden. Middlesbrough Tees Valley

Penshaw Monument

The Earl of Durham's Monument, better known as the Penshaw Monument, was built in 1844 on Penshaw Hill. The folly is a 70 ft high replica of the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens, but twice the size of the original. It can be seen for miles around. The monument was built in memory of John George Lambton, first Earl of Durham (1792-1840). Near Houghton-le-Spring, Sunderland Tyne & Wear

Ros Castle (hill)

Ros Hill is known as 'Ros Castle' because its summit is the site of an Iron Age hill fort. It is the highest point on the Chillingham Hills. The site was gifted to the National Trust in 1936 in memory of Sir Edward Grey. Limited access / rough terrain. Near Hepburn Northumberland

Seaton Delaval Hall

Seaton Delaval Hall is an 'English Baroque' style country house which was designed by Sir John Vanbrugh in 1718 for Admiral George Delaval, both of whom had died before the building was completed in 1728. The central block was badly damaged by fire in 1822 leaving parts of the building with just the stone shell. The grounds include formal gardens. Between Seaton Delaval and Seaton Sluice  Northumberland

Souter Lighthouse and the Leas

Souter Lighthouse was opened in 1871, located on the coastline midway between the Tyne and the Wear. It was the first lighthouse in the world designed and built to be powered by electricity. To the north of the lighthouse, The Leas are a 2.5 mile stretch of magnesian limestone cliffs, including the dramatic rock stacks of Marsden Bay. Near Whitburn Tyne & Wear

St. Cuthbert's Cave

St. Cuthbert’s Cave is formed by a 20m overhanging outcrop of Sandstone rock, supported by a natural stone pillar. It is reputed that St Cuthbert retired to this cave in 674 AD and there is a tradition that his body was rested in the cave when it was moved from Lindisfarne in c875 AD to avoid Viking raids on Lindisfarne. The cave and surrounding 13 acre site was given to the National Trust in 1981. Near Holburn Northumberland

Wallington

Wallington Hall was built in 1688 on the site of an earlier building and remodelled in 1777. It was the home of the Trevelyan family until being donated to the National Trust in 1942. The 13,000-acre estate includes lawns, lakes, woodland, parkland, farmland and a walled garden. The Hall includes period furnishings and numerous pre-Raphaelite paintings.

Cambo, near Morpeth Northumberland

Washington Old Hall

The Old Hall and gardens are located in the historic Washington village, which existed long before the development of the 'new town'. The building incorporates parts of the original medieval home of the direct ancestors of George Washington, the first President of the USA. It was from here that the family took their surname of 'Washington'. Washington, Sunderland Tyne & Wear

For the lastest information see the National Trust Website

The National Trust is a membership-based conservation organisation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The trust was founded in 1895 and given statutory powers, starting with the National Trust Act 1907. The Trust was formerly known as the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty. The Trust owns over 350 historic properties and landscapes/nature reserves.

from http://www.nationaltrust.or...
National Trust

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Wallington
- Overview About Wallington Map Street View   Wallington is a country house and gardens located about 12 miles (19 km) west of Morpeth, Northumberland, England, near the village of Cambo. It ...
  Co-Curate Page
Cherryburn
- Overview About Cherryburn Map Cherryburn is a National Trust location which includes the farmhouse and cottage which was the birthplace of Thomas Bewick (1753-1828), a renowned wood engraver and naturalist ...
  Co-Curate Page
Cragside
- Overview About Cragside Map Street View Cragside was the country house and estate of industrialist Lord William Armstrong and Lady Margaret Armstrong. It was the first house in the world ...
  Co-Curate Page
George Stephenson's Birthplace
- Overview Map The humble birthplace of great railway pioneer, George Stephenson, whose entire family lived in just one room. The cottage is located about half a mile from Wylam and is ...
  Co-Curate Page
Gibside
- Overview About Gibside Map Street View Gibside estate Gibside is a country estate, set amongst the peaks and slopes of the Derwent Valley, between Rowlands Gill, Tyne and Wear and ...
  Co-Curate Page
Ormesby Hall
- Overview About Ormesby Hall Map Street View Ormesby Hall is a National Trust property located in Ormesby, Middlesbrough. The Palladian style building was completed in 1754 and is Grade I listed. ...
  Co-Curate Page
Seaton Delaval Hall
- Overview History & Architecture Map Street View Seaton Delaval Hall is an 'English Baroque' style country house located between Seaton Sluice and Seaton Delaval in Northumberland. The Hall was designed ...
  Co-Curate Page
Washington Old Hall
- Overview About Washington Old Hall Map Street View Inside   Washington Old Hall is a manor house located in the Washington area of Tyne and Wear, England, United Kingdom. It ...
  Co-Curate Page
Penshaw Monument
- Overview History and Further Details Map Street View The Earl of Durham's Monument, better known as the Penshaw Monument, was built in 1844 on Penshaw Hill. The folly is a ...
  Co-Curate Page
Farne Islands
- Overview About The Farne Islands Map The Farne Islands are located off the coast of Northumberland, just over 2 miles north of Seahouses. Most of the islands are now owned ...
  Co-Curate Page
Souter Lighthouse
- Overview About Souter Lighthouse Map Street View Souter Lighthouse is located on Lizard point on the South Tyneside coast, between Marsden and Whitburn. It was built in 1871 by Sir ...
  Co-Curate Page
Marsden Rock
- Summary About Marsden Rock Map Street View Marsden Rock is a rock formation off the coast at Marsden, South Shields, opposite the Marsden Grotto. In 1911 a large section of ...
  Co-Curate Page
The Leas
- The Leas is a two and a half mile stretch of magnesian limestone cliffs and coastal grassland by South Shields. It is owned and maintained by the National Trust and ...
  Co-Curate Page
Lindisfarne Castle
- Overview Lindisfarne Castle Map Street View   Lindisfarne Castle is a 16th-century castle located on Holy Island, near Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England, much altered by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1901. The ...
from http://www.nationaltrust.or...
Farne Islands - National Trust
- Visitor information, opening times and further information.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Lime Kilns, Lindisfarne
- Overview Map Street View The lime kilns at Castle Point on Lindisfarne are amongst the largest and best preserved lime kilns in Northumberland. They have a complex layout compared to ...
  Co-Curate Page
Gertrude Jekyll Garden, Holy Island
- Overview Map Street View A modestly sized walled garden, located just north of Lindisfarne Castle, was designed by Gertrude Jekyll - a renowned Arts and Crafts garden designer, writer and ...
  Co-Curate Page
Dunstanburgh Castle
- Overview About Dunstanburgh Castle Map Street View Dunstanburgh Castle is located on the Northumberland coast, one mile north of Craster and a mile and a half south-east of Embleton. The castle ...
  Co-Curate Page
Housesteads Fort
- Overview About Howsteads Fort Map Street View Housesteads (Roman name: "Vercovicium") is one of the best preserved forts on Hadrian's Wall, built around 124 AD. The fort covers an area ...
  Co-Curate Page
Nose's Point and Blast Beach, Dawdon
  Co-Curate Page
Ros Castle (hill), nr Hepburn
- Ros Hill is known as 'Ros Castle' because its summit is the site of an Iron Age hill fort. It is the highest point on the Chillingham Hills. The site ...
  Co-Curate Page
St. Cuthbert's Cave, nr Holburn
- Overview Map Street View St. Cuthbert’s Cave near Holburn in Northumberland is formed by a 20m overhanging outcrop of Sandstone rock, supported by a natural stone pillar. It is reputed ...
  Co-Curate Page
Heritage Sites
- This section includes profiles of some of the many heritage sites in the North East of England and Cumbria. Many more can also be found by locality via the Places ...
  Co-Curate Page
Bridge House, Ambleside
- Overview Map Street View Bridge House by Rydal Road in Ambleside was originally built in the late 17th century by the Braithwaite family to access their lands on the other ...
  Co-Curate Page
Castlerigg Stone Circle
- Overview About Castlerigg Stone Circle Map Street View Castlerigg Stone Circle, located just over a mile east of Keswick, is one of the earliest stone circles in the UK, thought ...
  Co-Curate Page
Dalton Castle
- Overview About Dalton Castle Map Street View Dalton Castle is a large Pele tower in Dalton-in-Furness, which was first built in the mid-14th century, as a defence against border raids ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES