Seaham


Seaham is a town on the east coast in County Durham. There has been settlement at Seaham since at least early medieval times; the name Seaham, meaning 'homestead by the sea', was first recorded in 1050 AD.[1] ‘Old Seaham’ includes the Church of St Mary, which dates back to the 8th century. The Londonderry family lived in Seaham Hall, also where the poet Lord Byron met and married Isabella Millbanke in 1815. Seaham grew rapidly during the 19th century; when the Marquis of Londonderry developed Seaham Harbour to transport coal from the collieries he owned. Local collieries included Seaham Colliery, Dawdon Colliery & Vane Tempest. The population grew rapidly as people came to work in the collieries and harbour, including immigrants from Ireland and Cornwall. The mines were closed by the early 1990s;  Seaham Hall is now a luxury hotel and spa. The town celebrates its links with Lord Byron and is associated with the sandy beaches of the Durham "heritage coast".

Seaham, formerly Seaham Harbour, is a small town in County Durham, situated 6 miles south of Sunderland and 14 miles east of Durham. It has a small parish church, St Mary the Virgin, with a late 7th century Anglo Saxon nave resembling the church at Escomb in many respects. St Mary the Virgin is one of the 20 oldest surviving churches in the UK. Seaham is currently twinned with the German town of Gerlingen.

History

The original village of Seaham has all but vanished; it lay between St Mary's Church and Seaham Hall (i.e. somewhat to the north of the current town centre).

Until the early years of the 19th century, Seaham was a small rural agricultural farming community whose only claim to fame was that the local landowner's daughter, Anne Isabella Milbanke, was married at Seaham Hall to Lord Byron, on 2 January 1815.

Byron began writing his Hebrew Melodies at Seaham and they were published in April 1815. It would seem that Byron was bored in wintry Seaham, though the sea enthralled him. As he wrote in a letter to a friend:

"Upon this dreary coast we have nothing but county meetings and shipwrecks; and I have this day dined upon fish, which probably dined upon the crews of several colliers lost in the late gales. But I saw the sea once more in all the glories of surf and foam."

The marriage was short-lived, but long enough to have been a drain on the Milbanke estate. The area's fortunes changed when the Milbankes sold out to 3rd Marquess of Londonderry, who built a harbour, in 1828, to facilitate transport of goods from locally encouraged industries (the first coal mine was begun in 1845). However, this harbour later proved inadequate to deal with the millions of tonnes of coal and the 6th Marquess commissioned engineers Patrick Meik and Charles Meik to reclaim land and extend and deepen the dock. It was officially opened in 1905. The harbour is of particular interest because it consists of a series of interconnecting locks, rather than the more typical two wall construction.

As early as 1823, the third Marquess had approached the architect John Dobson with a view to his drawing up plans for a town to be built around the harbour. Dobson did so, but the planned approach foundered for lack of funds, and the town instead grew in a more piecemeal fashion. To begin with, the town was itself called Seaham Harbour (to differentiate it from the ancient village); in time, though, the settlement as a whole came to be known as Seaham.

In 1928, production started at the last town colliery to be opened, Vane Tempest. By 1992, however, all three pits (Dawdon Colliery, Vane Tempest Colliery and Seaham Colliery – known locally as "the Knack") had closed, a process accelerated by the British miners' strike and cheap coal imports from Eastern Europe. The pit closures hit the local economy extremely hard, and Seaham sank into a depressed state in the 1980s and 1990s.

Seaham Colliery suffered an underground explosion in 1880 which resulted in the loss of over 160 lives, including surface workers and rescuers.

Many local families were affected by the tragic loss of eight men and one boy in the 'Seaham Lifeboat Disaster', when the RNLI lifeboat, the George Elmy, foundered on 17 November 1962. To commemorate the event, the new coast road was named George Elmy Lifeboat Way.

Governance

An electoral ward with the same exists. The population of this ward taken at the 2011 census was 8419.

Today

Seaham has fine beaches and transport links to the eastern coast. From 2001 most of the Durham coastline was designated as a "heritage coast" and Seaham beach was entirely restored. In 2002 the Turning the Tide project won, jointly with the Eden Project, the prize for Outstanding Achievement in Regeneration in the annual Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors awards. Seaham Hall is now a luxury hotel and spa.

In homage to the town's link to Lord Byron, the new multimillion-pound shopping complex, which now includes an Asda supermarket as well as Argos and Wilkinson's stores, is named Byron Place. It aims to revitalise the area, using the successful redevelopment of the central shopping district of neighbouring town Peterlee as a benchmark. Asda officially opened on 3 September 2007 and the rest of the shopping centre opened in November 2007.

In 2006, a survey conducted by Halifax revealed that Seaham is the top property price increase hotspot in England and Wales as average prices rose by 172% since 2003. The average price of £117,266 is still, however, well below the national average. It is believed this surge has been greatly helped by regeneration work in the area, and in particular the new housing estate East Shore Village, built on the site of the former Vane Tempest colliery.

Today, the town has a population of around 22,000, and is served by Seaham railway station, which lies on the Durham Coast Line, running from Middlesbrough to Newcastle upon Tyne, via Hartlepool, Stockton-on-Tees and Sunderland.

Local bus services operated by Arriva and Go North East also provide access to the nearby towns of Murton, Peterlee and Houghton-le-Spring, as well as further afield to Sunderland, Newcastle upon Tyne, Durham, Darlington, Stockton-on-Tees and Middlesbrough.

Seaham has one secondary school, without a sixth-form, called Seaham School of Technology.

Seaham in the media

The rich mining history of the town was highlighted in the 2000 film Billy Elliot, which was set during the 1984–85 UK miners' strike in the fictional County Durham town of Everington but which displayed characteristics particular to East Durham pit communities such as Seaham and Easington Colliery. Both towns feature as locations in the film, notably Dawdon Miners' Club, into which Elliot's dad runs when he learns his son has won an audition at dance school. Elliot's "angry dance" scene takes place in Dawdon between Embleton Street and Stavordale Street West.

The opening scene in Alien 3 (1992) was filmed on Blast Beach, at Dawdon, released 1993.

The town has also served as a location for the BAFTA nominated film Life For Ruth (1962) starring Janet Munro and Patrick McGoohan. The town appeared in the BBC Three sitcom Live!Girls! present Dogtown which premiered on the channel in autumn 2006. According to the Sunderland Echo (11 February 1999), scenes from Saving Private Ryan (1998) were also going to be filmed in Seaham, but Government intervention moved production elsewhere.

According to Tom McNee's 1992 portrait of the town The Changing Face of Seaham: 1928–1992, St. John's parish church was used as the setting of a 1985 service recorded for BBC Radio 4. Also, a two-part Channel 4 documentary profiled the town in 1991.

Landmarks

To the south, beside the road to Dalton-le-Dale, are the remains of Dalden Tower, comprising the ruins of a 16th-century tower and fragments of later buildings.

The harbour itself may be said to be the principal landmark of the nineteenth-century town; though the Londonderry Institute in Tempest Road (1853 by Thomas Oliver) with its monumental Greek-style portico provides something of a glimpse of the Marquess's original vision for the town. Of a slightly later date, the former Londonderry Offices on the sea front once served as headquarters for the mining and other businesses of the Londonderry family. A statue of the 6th Marquess stands in the forecourt. Also dating from an early stage in the town's development is the town-centre church of St John, Seaham Harbour (1835–40).

For the very much older St Mary's, Seaham, and its neighbour Seaham Hall, see above. For just over a hundred years the harbour was towered over by a lighthouse on Red Acre Point immediately to the north. Erected in 1835, it displayed a revolving white light above a fixed red light. It was decommissioned in 1905, when the harbour was expanded and the current black-and-white striped pier-head light was constructed. Red Acre lighthouse was left standing, however, to serve as a daymark, until 1940 when the whole structure was swiftly demolished in case it should serve to assist enemy navigators.

A steel statue, 1101 (locally also known as Tommy) by local artist Ray Lonsdale, commemorating World War One and initially erected temporarily for three months, was the subject of a local fund-raising drive in 2014 to retain it on the town's seafront.

Notable people

Between 1929 and 1935, the Member of Parliament (MP) for Seaham (the defunct constituency which covered the area now renamed Easington) was Labour Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald. Easington constituency has only ever returned Labour candidates to Parliament, and at the 2010 General Election, Labour candidate Grahame Morris was elected with a majority of 14,982 votes. Seaham has also produced several able footballers, some of whom have gone on to play for the local team, Sunderland. Terry Fenwick and Brian Marwood, moreover, played for England, with the latter, on retirement from football, working as a commentator for Sky Sports. Paul Gascoigne also lived in Seaham in the late 1990s, while playing for Middlesbrough.

Other notable residents include:

  • Baritone Sir Thomas Allen was born in Seaham in 1944
  • Martin Brammer of the 1980s band the Kane Gang was born in the Dawdon area of the town
  • Peter Burdon, former chief executive of Poundstretcher and of Thornton's, was born in the town
  • Bill Griffiths – Poet and dialect expert
  • Janie Jones – singer
  • Richie Pitt – former Sunderland footballer
  • Agony aunt and author Denise Robertson lived in the town for many years
  • Peter Willey, Northamptonshire and England cricketer, went to Seaham Secondary School.
Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 18/12/2016).
Visit the page: Seaham for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Flickr (flickr)
Seaham Pier

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Seaham Harbour - County Durham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle University (youtube)
NEW PITHEAD BATHS OPENED (aka SEAHAM HARBOUR)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Seaham sculpture

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
German POWs at Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
Coffee Pot locomotive and chaldron waggon at Seaham Harbour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
Unemployed miner fishing in the sea from the rocks at Seaham Harbour, 1938

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
Seaham Harbour Coal Drop

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
Coffee Pot loco, steam crane and chaldron wagon at Seaham Harbour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Durham Miners' Gala 2005 - Seaham Lodge Banner

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
"Tommy" by Ray Lonsdale, Seaham, County Durham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Vane Tempest Stewart

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Dawdon Nose's Point

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Seaham sculpture

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Local History: Seaham
- "Seaham, or Seaham Harbour as it is often known, lies on the North Sea coast of Durham. Although most of the present village developed in the 19th century alongside the ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
The A182 passes Byron Place in Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
4K Drone over Seaham Blast Beach

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Seaham, Co Durham DJI Inspire 1 aerial view road trip 02 07 2015 this video is a gift from S Benson

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Dji phanton 2 storm sea at Seaham, county Durham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Dji Mavic Drone Seaham Nose's Point 4K

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Drone Sunrise over Seaham

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
The Inn Between

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
'Greystones' from the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Marquis Point (former Londonderry Offices), Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Red Acre Beach at Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Red Acre Beach at Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Masonic Lodge, North Road, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Church Street

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Frederick Street, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Coal for Tyne Dock

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Unity Lodge of Mark Master Masons

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
George Elmy Lifeboat Memorial, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Dawdon Burn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The way down to Seaham Promenade

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Londonderry Institute

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Duke of Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Bath Terrace, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ex Vane-Tempest owned houses in Tempest Road, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rock House, Tempest Road, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
North Road

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Seaham Methodist Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Order to close Seaham Level Crossing Footpath - plan of area affected

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Harbour View Hotel, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Seaham Rugby Union Football Club

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Island Social Club, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Houses on North Terrace

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Clubs on North Terrace

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Statue of the 6th Marquess of Londonderry

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Seaham fire station

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Longnewton Street before demolition

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Cherry Grove, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Alfred Street, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Robert Street Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
1937

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
'Wind and Fire', East Shore, Seaham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES