Seaton Delaval is a village in Northumberland, England, with a population of 4,371. It is the largest of the five villages in Seaton Valley and is the site of Seaton Delaval Hall, the masterpiece completed by Sir John Vanbrugh in 1727.
The place-name 'Seaton Delaval' was first attested as 'Seton de la Val' in 1270. 'Seaton' simply means 'sea town', referring to the village's nearness to the North Sea. The land was held by the Delaval family, who took their name from Laval in Maine in France. Their descendants are still major landholders in the area today, and the current Lord Hastings has the first name Delaval: he is Delaval Astley, 23rd Baron Hastings.
The folk song "Blackleg Miner" mentions the village:
Oh, Delaval is a terrible place
They rub wet clay in the blackleg's face.
And around the heaps they run a foot race,
To catch the blackleg miner!
So dinna gan near the Seghill mine.
Across the way they stretch a line,
To catch the throat and break the spine
Of the dirty blackleg miner!
From 1974 the village was part of the Blyth Valley borough, but as part of the 2009 structural changes to local government in England responsibility was transferred to Northumberland County Council. The village is in the NE25 post code area and the postal town of Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear. Unlike other parts of Northumberland, Seaton Delaval and the surrounding villages use the Tyne and Wear 0191 area code.
The village is centred on the intersection of two main roads: the A192 road running from North Shields to Morpeth and the A190 road running from the Dudley village bypass to Seaton Sluice. These main roads are lined by terraced housing from the turn of the 20th Century, but large post-war and 1970s house development is predominant. There are small pockets of more recent housing and as of August 2012, a new estate of houses is being completed.
Nearby villages include:
- Seaton Sluice
- New Hartley
The village has its own independent cooperative, the Seaton Valley Co-Operative Society, which runs a small supermarket, post office and off-licence. There are also several convenience stores and public houses, such as The Keel Row pub/restaurant on Foreman's Row. The other, mainly independent stores include a regionally renowned ice cream parlour, pine furnishing store, florist and garage.
Procter & Gamble has a factory in the village, once the independent Shultons factory. Shultons formerly manufactured Old Spice aftershave before Procter & Gamble's acquisition of the brand. The factory is now employed in the manufacture of Clairol hair dye products, including Nice 'n Easy, as well as the Hugo Boss fragrance range.
Seaton Delaval Hall, recently taken into the care of the National Trust, is situated around half a mile east of the village off the A190.
A railway line, now used only for freight, runs to the North of the village. There are bus links to nearby Whitley Bay, Cramlington and Blyth as well as to Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
The village is served by five main schools:
There are a number of Christian churches in the village:
- The Church of Our Lady (Church of England)
- Elsdon Avenue United Reformed and Methodist Church
- Holy Trinity, Seghill (Church of England)
The Seaton Delaval Arts Centre, a small auditorium hosting musical and drama entertainment, often locally produced, is housed in the former Salvation Army Hall in the centre of the village.
- Ralph Delaval - Admiral
- George Delaval - Admiral and builder of Seaton Delaval Hall
- Noel Forster - Artist and teacher
- John Gardner - Thriller writer, continued James Bond books
- Ivor Gurney - Poet and composer
- Ray Kennedy - Arsenal and Liverpool footballer
- England football internationals Clem Stephenson and his brother George were both born in Seaton Delaval