Marsden Rock is a rock formation off the coast at Marsden, South Shields, opposite the Marsden Grotto. In 1911 a large section of the rock collapsed into the sea, creating a larger arch in the rock. Following further tidal errosion the arch collapsed in 1996, splitting the rock into two stacks, the smaller of which had to be demolished for safety reasons on the 26th March 1997.
Marsden Rock is a rock formation in Tyne and Wear, North East England, situated in Marsden, South Shields. It is owned by the National Trust and overlooked by the Marsden Grotto. It is reachable on foot during low tide, but is completely surrounded by water at high tide.
The rock is a sea stack of periclase and Magnesian Limestone which lies approximately off the main cliff face. In 1803 a flight of steps was constructed up the side of the rock. In 1903 several choirs climbed onto the rock to perform a choral service. A juggling show was also performed by a group of trainee clowns who worked for Marsden Quarry.
In 1911 a large section of the rock collapsed into the sea leaving it as an arch. Continued tidal erosion caused the arch to collapse in 1996, splitting the rock into two separate stacks. Prior to this it had featured on many local postcards and photographs. In 1997 the smaller stack was declared unsafe and was demolished in the interests of public safety.
The rock is home to seabird colonies, with thousands of pairs of black-legged kittiwakes, fulmars, gulls and cormorants.