Hartburn Parish, 1848
HARTBURN, a parish, in the unions of Castle ward, Morpeth, and Rothbury, chiefly in the W. division of Morpeth ward, but partly in the N.E. division of Tindale ward, N. and S. divisions of Northumberland; containing 1,322 inhabitants, of whom 30 are in the township of Hartburn, 7 miles (W.) from Morpeth. This parish comprises the townships of High and Low Angerton, Cambo, Corridge, Deanham, Favinley, Greenleighton, Hartburn, Hartburn-Grange, Hartington, Hartington-Hall, Harwood, Highlaws, Long Witton, North and South Middleton, Rothley, East and West Shaftoe, East and West Thornton, Todridge, Wallington, and Whitridge. It is of very irregular form, nearly 11 miles in length, and 6 in mean breadth, and comprises about 40,000 acres, of which 105 are in the township of Hartburn. The surface is agreeably diversified with hill and dale, and the soil is various; the lands are wholly inclosed, excepting Harwood township, and nearly all profitable for almost every description of husbandry. The lower grounds are watered by the rivers Hart and Wansbeck. Stone of different kinds is quarried; and there are some lead-mines and coal-pits in operation. The village of Hartburn consists of the church, the parsonage, called Hartburn Tower, the school-houses, glebe farmhouses, and two cottages; which stand on the rocky and steep banks of the burn from which the place derives its name. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 0. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, with a gross income of about £800; John Clayton and Isaac Cookson, Esqrs., and others, are impropriators. The late Rev. John Hodgson, the learned author of six volumes of a highly valuable History of Northumberland, was vicar. The church, a venerable structure romantically situated, consists of a chancel, nave, and aisles, with a porch and tower; on the south side of the altar are a piscina, and three stalls with pointed arches. Cambo chapel was beautifully rebuilt in 1843.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.