Hartington Hall Township, 1848
HARTINGTON-HALL, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Rothbury, N.E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing 36 inhabitants. This place, styled also West Hartington, comprises 907 acres, the property of Sir John Trevelyan, and lies between Hartington and the Elsdon road, and on the north side of the Hart river. It was generally the residence of a younger branch of the Fenwicks of Wallington, with whom it long remained. In 1544, the mansion is called "a strong bastell house of the inheritance of Sir John Fenwyke."
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.