East Thornton Township,1848
THORNTON, EAST, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union, and W. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 51 inhabitants. In the 9th of William III., the moor of East Thornton was found, upon a trial at law, to be within the parish of Hartburn, and tithes were decreed upon it. The township was part of the Radcliffe estate forfeited by the Earl of Derwentwater, and afterwards came to Greenwich Hospital; in 1831 the Hospital commissioners sold the lands, which comprise about 916 acres, to Isaac Cookson, Esq., who has since built a house and offices here.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.