Topics > Northumberland > Rothley > Rothley Township, 1848
Rothley Township, 1848
ROTHLEY, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 11 miles (W. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 143 inhabitants. So early as the 13th century this place was in the possession of the convent of Newminster; and John Butler, abbot of that establishment, built a tower here, which in 1542 is styled a "lytle towre in measurable good reparations," but which was demolished by the Blackett family, into whose possession it came in 1691. Rothley Crags are a range of precipitous rocks fronting the west, and on the western verge of Rothley Park; they are of granitic sandstone, rising in fine and various forms, and richly coloured. Near their brink, on ground about 800 feet above the level of the sea, stands Rothley Castle, which, though erected by the late Sir W. C. Blackett, has all the appearance of an ancient residence. The township comprises about 2,728 acres. In the park are two large lakes, in one of which the river Font has its source. A fold for cattle formerly situated here was attacked during the border warfare, by the Scots, who were defeated with great loss, and the slain buried at a place called Scots' Gap.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.