Topics > Northumberland > West Shafto
SHAFTO, WEST, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Castle ward, N.E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 12½ miles (W. by S.) from Morpeth; containing 31 inhabitants. This place, which was formerly the seat of the Aynsley family, is situated on a dry knoll, a little to the south of Shafto Crag. A colliery here abounds with the fossil called by the pitmen salmon.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.