Dawdon Colliery (1907-1991)
Dawdon Colliery was sunk in 1907 by the Sixth Marquess of Londonderry, when the workings at his Seaham Colliery became increasingly costly to work from the old shafts, as the mine pushed out to the south-east. The new shafts for Dawdon Colliery were sunk at the coast on a rocky promontory known as Noses Point, near Dawdon. At that time Dawdon was a small village of 83 houses. Dawdon was extended by Londonderry, with the building of 20 streets of new housing to accommodate the rapidly growing workforce at the colliery. By 1910 the 3,300 miners at Dawdon Colliery were producing 1 million tons of hand-hewed coal per year. In 1930 the numbers employed at the colliery reached their peak at 3,798 (3,163 working below ground and 635 working on the surface). Dawdon Colliery closed on the 25th of July, 1991.