Seaham Parish, 1848
SEAHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Sunderland; containing, with the township of Seaton with Slingley, 327 inhabitants, of whom 153 are in Seaham township. The parish comprises 2,871a. 37p. It is bounded on the east by the sea, and is separated from Seaham Harbour, in the parish of Dalton-le-Dale, by a rivulet, over which is a neat wooden bridge. The surface is varied, commanding some fine views, and the scenery abounds with interesting features. Seaham Hall, formerly the manor-house of the Milbank family, and now the property of the Marquess of Londonderry, is a stately mansion, occupied occasionally by his lordship as a marine residence, and beautifully situated in tastefully ornamented grounds, with prospects of the sea, of Redcar, and the mouth of the Tees. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £5. 0. 5.; patron, the Marquess: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe consists of 180 acres. The church is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower, and is on rising ground, conspicuous in the landscape; it contains an elegant font. In the register is the signature of Lord Byron, whose marriage was solemnized at Seaham Hall. The parsonage-house is a handsome building in the Elizabethan style.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.