Church of St Mary Magdalen, Seaham


The Roman Catholic Church of St Mary Magdalen is located on Harbour Walk in Seaham. There was an influx of Irish immigrants in the 19th century, many of whom came to work at Seaham Harbour, which was built to handle coal mined from the local collieries owned by Lord Londonderry. This resulted in the need for a place of Catholic worship. The foundation stone of the church was laid by Bishop Collins on 23rd August 1906, and the church opened on 19th September 1907.[1] The church was designed by Thomas Axtell of Ryhope, who also built the nearly identical Church of St Joseph at Sunderland. The Church of St Mary Magdalen is a Grade II listed building.

from https://historicengland.org...
Church of St Mary Magdalen
- "....Roman Catholic church, 1906-1907 to the designs of Thomas Axtell; Romanesque style. MATERIALS: cast and moulded concrete blocks, rock-faced externally; Welsh slate roofs. PLAN: the building is oriented north to ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://taking-stock.org.uk/...
SEAHAM HARBOUR - ST MARY MAGDALEN
- Includes photos. "An early example of the use of moulded concrete blocks, used in this case to build a church in the Romanesque style with a handsome basilican interior....."

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES