Pele Tower


Pele towers were fortified houses built along both sides of the English and Scottish borders, mostly in settlements which did not have a castle. An English Act of Parliament in 1455, required the towers to have an iron basket on top of the tower to provide a warning signal of smoke or fire signal when under attack.[1] Typically the pele towers were the homes of the lairds and landlords of the area, but the towers were big enough to provide a refuge for everyone in the village during a border raid. Many were associated with a church (known as a 'Vicar's Pele'. Today many of the surviving pele towers have been converted into modern private residences.
from Geograph (geograph)
Horsley Tower

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Vicar's Pele Tower, Corbridge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
" ON BATTLED TOWER AND PORTAL GREY" - MORTHAM TOWER

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Elsdon Tower House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Salter's Road Walk,Alnham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Horsley Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Horsley Tower
- Overview Street View The fortified towerhouse in Longhorsely was built by the Horsley family in the 16th century at a time when there were frequent boarder raids and hostilities with ...
Vicar's Pele, Corbridge
  Co-Curate Page
Vicar's Pele, Corbridge
- Overview Map Street View The Vicar's Pele (defensive tower) was built in the churchyard of St Andrew's Church, Corbridge, in c.1318.[1] The Pele incorporates reused Roman masonry and has a ...
Tower House, Alnham
  Co-Curate Page
Tower House, Alnham
Elsdon Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Elsdon Tower
- Overview About Elsdon Tower Map Street View "Elsdon Tower is a medieval towerhouse, now converted for residential use. It was recorded as a 'Vicar's Pele' in 1415 and thought to ...
Mortham Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Mortham Tower
- Mortham Tower, near Greta Bridge, is a Grade I listed fortified courtyard house and pele tower which dates from the reign of King Henry VII (1485-1509). The estate was the ...
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...
Peel Tower
- "Peel towers (also spelt pele) are small fortified keeps or tower houses, built along the English and Scottish borders in the Scottish Marches and North of England, intended as watch ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Dunstan Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Dunstan Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Dunstan Hall
Old Vicarage, Embleton
  Co-Curate Page
Old Vicarage, Embleton
- Overview Map Street View The former Vicarage and pele tower, is located next to the Church of the Holy Trinity in Embleton.  In 1332 Merton College, patron of Embleton, agreed to ...
Shortflatt Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Shortflatt Tower
- Overview Map Shortflatt Tower is a historic house and defensive tower in the civil parish of Belsay, and located close to Bolam, Northumberland. Originally built in 1257, permission to crenellate ...
Burradon Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Burradon Tower
- Overview About Burradon Tower Map Burradon Tower is a ruined Pele Tower (defensive tower) in Burradon, built during times of hostilities with Scotland. The Tower is a Grade II listed ...
Hepburn Bastle
  Co-Curate Page
Hepburn Bastle
- Overview Map Street View  
Pele Tower, Shilbottle
  Co-Curate Page
Pele Tower, Shilbottle
- Former vicarage, Grade II listed building.
Dalden Tower, Seaham
  Co-Curate Page
Dalden Tower, Seaham
- Overview Map Street View Dalden Tower, is located in Seaham in the Dean which runs to Dalton-le-Dale. The pele-tower is the most prominent part of the remains of what was ...
Preston Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Preston Tower
- Overview About Preston Tower Map Preston Tower is a 14th century pele tower in Preston, near Chathill, in Northumberland. The Tower is a Grade II* listed building. "The Preston pele ...
Duddo Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Duddo Tower
- Overview About Duddo Tower Map Street View The ruined tower near Duddo in Northumberland, is a former strong house built in the late 16th century. The south-west corner and parts ...
Ludworth Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Ludworth Tower
- Overview Map Street View  
Church of St Anne, Ancroft
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Anne, Ancroft
- Overview Map Street View St Anne's is the parish church of Ancroft. It was built by the monks of Holy Island, in the early Norman period, or possibly earlier. The ...
Cockle Park Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Cockle Park Tower
- Overview Map Street View  
Biddlestone Catholic Chapel
  Co-Curate Page
Biddlestone Catholic Chapel
- This former Roman Catholic chapel in Biddlestone has an interesting history. It was originally a pele tower built in the 13th century; the ground floor has defensive walls, which are 6 ...
Crawley Tower, near Powburn
  Co-Curate Page
Crawley Tower, near Powburn
- Crawley Tower was built early in the 14th century with a licence to crenelate being granted in 1343.
  Co-Curate Page
Doddington Bastle
-
Parson's Tower, Ford
  Co-Curate Page
Parson's Tower, Ford
- Overview Map Street View Parson's Tower in Ford, Northumberland, are the remains of a Medieval pele tower. It is located in a field south-west of Ford Castle and north-west of ...
Tosson Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Tosson Tower
- Overview Map Street View Tosson Tower is a ruined medieval tower house located in Great Tosson. It was the home of the Ogle family, who obtained lands at Tosson in ...
Low Hall and Pele Tower, Corbridge
  Co-Curate Page
Low Hall and Pele Tower, Corbridge
Dalton Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Dalton Castle
- Overview About Dalton Castle Map Street View Dalton Castle is a large Pele tower in Dalton-in-Furness, which was first built in the mid-14th century, as a defence against border raids ...
Isel Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Isel Hall
- Overview About Isel Hall Map Street View   Isel Hall is an ancient Cumbrian residence that sits on a steep rise on the northern banks of the River Derwent, two ...
Church of St John the Baptist, Newton Arlosh
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St John the Baptist, Newton Arlosh
- Overview About St John the Evangelist's Church Map Street View St John's Church in Newton Arlosh was built in 1303 by the Monks of nearby Holm Cultram Abbey; the font ...
Hutton John, Cumbria
  Co-Curate Page
Hutton John, Cumbria
- Overview Map Street View Hutton John is a large fortified manor house, located near the hamlet of Hutton, about 5 miles south-west of Penrith in Cumbria. The manor house was ...
  Co-Curate Page
Whitton Tower, Northumberland

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES