In Northern England:
- 2nd February 1838: Charles Dickens visits Barnard Castle whilst researching his novel, Nicholas Nickleby.
- 18th of June 1838: official opening of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
- 28th June 1838: opening of the Victoria Bridge rail viaduct over the River Wear near Washington.
- 7th July 1838: first ship launched by the Bartram & Sons shipyard in Sunderland.
- 24th August 1838: the Durham Junction Railway was opened to mineral traffic.
- 7th September 1838: Grace Darling and her father rescued survivors of the Forfarshire wrecked off the Farne Islands.
- c1838: completion of the Central Exchange Building, Newcastle, bulit by Richard Grainger.
- 1838: completion of Grey's Monument in the centre of Newcastle.