Topics > Tees Valley > Stockton-on-Tees > Church of the Holy Trinity, Stockton-on-Tees

Church of the Holy Trinity, Stockton-on-Tees


The ruins of Holy Trinity Church stand in Trinity Green, a public park close to Stockton-on-Tees town centre. The church was built in 1837-1838 by John and Benjamin Green. It was built on land gifted to the the town of Stockton by the then Bishop of Durham, William Van Mildert (1765 - 1836). It was the first parish church of Stockton, built at a time when the population of Stockton was growing rapidly. It was an Anglican church up to 1982 when it closed following declining attendance and financial problems. In 1985, the building was taken over by the Greek Orthodox church, but suffered persistent vandalism. On the 26th of September 1991 the church was gutted by a fire, the cause of which was never fully determined.  The church underwent safety and refurbishment work, which completed in 2008, following £550k funding from English Heritage and Stockton Borough Council. Today the church ruins form a prominent  part the public park. It is used for some of Stockton's cultural events such as Stockton International Riverside Festival and Christmas carol concerts. The old church is Grade II* listed on the National Heritage List for England.

 
 
Stockton-on-Tees Former Church Historic Buildings and Monuments in Stockton-on-Tees 1838 Benjamin Green (1813-1858) John Green (1787 - 1852) Grade II* Listed
from Flickr (flickr)
Holy Trinity, Stockton on Tees

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Holy Trinity, Stockton-on-Tees

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Holy Trinity, Stockton-on-Tees

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Holy Trinity, Stockton-on-Tees

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Holy Trinity Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Holy Trinity, Yarm Lane, Stockton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity Church, Stockton on Tees

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY - Stockton - List Entry
- "1837-8 by John and Benjamin Green. Altered 1882-90. Chancel enlarged 1906. Wide 4 bay nave with lower transepts having gabled extensions to east. 2 bay chancel. 2$ style tower at ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.theoldhometown.c...
Holy Trinity Church, Stockton-on-Tees - Vintage Postcard
- Holy Trinity Church, Stockton-on-Tees. Postmarked 1923. postcard image from Alison Brown, c/o the Cleveland and Teesside Media Archive

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1329480
List grade: 2*
Grid ref: NZ4438918552
District: Tees Valley

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES