Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Newburn > Newburn Parish, 1848

Newburn Parish, 1848


NEWBURN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, and chiefly in the W. division, of Castle ward, but partly in the E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing 4,156 inhabitants, of whom 943 are in the township of Newburn, 5¼ miles (W. by N.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne. At this place, which in the reign of John was styled a borough, Lord Conway, at the head of the royalists, in 1640, disputed the passage of the Tyne with the Scots under General Leslie; but the latter, after a violent conflict, at length succeeded. The parish consists of the townships of Butterlaw, Black Callerton, Dalton, East and West Denton, North and South Dissington, Newbiggin, Newburn, Newburn-Hall, Sugley, Throckley, Wallbottle, East and West Whorlton, and part of High Callerton. It abounds with coal, and stretches along the northern bank of the river, where are some coal-staiths, ironfoundries, crown-glass works, and brick and tile manufactories, chemical-works, and a paper-mill. The village occupies a picturesque situation on the Tyne, and consists of irregularly-built houses, with pleasant gardens attached. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £230; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church, partly rebuilt and considerably enlarged in 1827, at an expense of about £1,200, is a neat cruciform structure of stone, containing some ancient monuments to the Delavals; the east window exhibits in stained glass the figure of St. James, and the arms of those families who contributed to the renovation of the building. A national school was erected in 1822, by the Duke of Northumberland, who endowed it with £10. 10. per annum; and there are two chapels, respectively dedicated to the Holy Trinity and St. Saviour. Severus' Wall passed through the parish, but its course is not traceable.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Newburn Wallbottle Township (Newburn Parish), 1848 Throckley Township, 1848 Whorlton Township, 1848 (Newburn Parish) Dalton, Ponteland High Callerton Church of St Michael and All Angels Black Callerton Parishes and Townships - 1848 Butterlaw Newburn Hall Township, 1848
Whorlton Township, 1848 (Newburn Parish)
  Co-Curate Page
Whorlton Township, 1848 (Newburn Parish)
- Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848. WHORLTON, a township, ...
Wallbottle Township (Newburn Parish), 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Wallbottle Township (Newburn Parish), 1848
- WALLBOTTLE, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (W. by N.) from Newcastle, on the road to ...
Throckley Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Throckley Township, 1848
- THROCKLEY, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¼ miles (W. by N.) from Newcastle; containing 160 inhabitants, and ...
Dalton, Ponteland
  Co-Curate Page
Dalton, Ponteland
- Overview Map Street View Dalton is a village in Northumberland, located about 3 miles west of Ponteland and 9 miles north-west of the centre of Newcastle. Historically, Dalton was a ...
  Co-Curate Page
High Callerton
- CALLERTON, HIGH, a township, partly in the parish of Ponteland, and partly in that of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (N.W.) ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES