Wallbottle Township (Newburn Parish), 1848
WALLBOTTLE, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (W. by N.) from Newcastle, on the road to Hexham and Carlisle; containing 683 inhabitants. It is the property of the Duke of Northumberland, lord of Newburn manor, and comprises 1,241a. 1r. 29p., of which 905 acres are arable, 273 meadow and pasture, 5 woodland, and 58 occupied with buildings, roads, and waste. The soil produces good crops of wheat, barley, and oats, and a portion of it grows turnips and potatoes. From the higher grounds are extensive views of the south side of the river Tyne, and of its fine valley. In the township are several beds of coal, the lowest seam of the Newcastle series being worked here: whinstone and freestone, also, are quarried, the former for the roads, and the latter for building. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes about two miles south of the village. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans; also two schools, for one of which the owners of the colliery provide the schoolroom. The site of the Roman wall may be traced through the township.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.