Whorlton Township, 1848 (Newburn Parish)
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WHORLTON, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (N.W. by W.) from Newcastle; containing 60 inhabitants. This township, divided into East and West Whorlton, comprises about 582 acres, of a strong clay soil yielding good crops of wheat and clover. In West Whorlton is the Hall, which contains some choice paintings, and the scenery around which is undulated, and very pleasing. The village lies equidistant between the roads from Newcastle to Heddon and to Ponteland.