North Dissington Township, 1848
DISSINGTON, NORTH, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 10 miles (N.W. by W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 67 inhabitants. This place was formerly the property and residence of a junior branch of the Delaval family, of whom Admiral Sir Ralph Delaval, a native of the township, sold the estate to Mr. Collingwood, of Byker, from whom it descended to its present possessor. The surface is rather level, sloping to the south; the soil is clay, in the northern part, and gravelly towards the river Pont, which separates this township from South Dissington. The Hall, the seat of Mr. Collingwood, is a substantial stone mansion, erected in 1797, and contains a small collection of pictures. The tithes have been commuted for £5. 10. 3. payable to the vicar, and £119. 19. 9. to the Bishop of Carlisle. There was formerly a chapel in the township.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.